About

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Bring On The Juggys!

For those of you not familiar with my work - although SYLG is a new blog, I also had a critically-acclaimed success with "Middie Back!" - I am a red-blooded American geek. Like most geeks, I love movies, especially if they involve comic books and/or superheroes. For the most part I have been satisfied with the recent crop of superhero flicks - Daredevil being the exception; I refuse to see anything starring Ben Affleck - and really enjoyed both Spider-Man films, as well as the Blade trilogy.

None of these projects, however, can hold a candle to X-Men and X2. The mere thought of seeing a live-action Wolverine made me giddy as a schoolgirl, and director Bryan Singer didn't let me down. Singer decided to forego X-Men 3, in order to man the helm of Superman Returns (with the delicious casting of Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor), but I was floored when I heard that uber-villain Juggernaut (pictured above) would be cast in the sequel.

Now that I was drooling like Homer Simpson, I decided to check out IMDb to see who would fill the 7-foot-plus Goliath's boots. I clicked on the X-Men 3 link, looked up the cast, and . . . passed out. When I regained consciousness, I realized that I was not dreaming, and (to my delight) English actor Vinnie Jones won the role!

Okay. You folks have no idea who Vinnie Jones is, do you? Well, you may have seen him in Gone in Sixty Seconds as "The Sphinx," or in EuroTrip as "Mad Maynard," but those who enjoy a good, albeit lesser-known film, you would recognize him as "Bullet Tooth Tony" in Mr. Madonna, er, Guy Ritchie's masterpiece, Snatch.

Why am I getting all dizzy over the casting of a little known Brit? See Snatch. Today. Right now. I'll send you my copy. Snatch is a great film with a lot of great performances, but Jones' character steals the movie. If Jones can pull off Juggernaut, in my book, he will be a god!

Oh, by the way, I also noticed that Kelsey Grammer, of all people, has been cast to play Dr. Hank McCoy, aka Beast. I'm not so sure of this choice, but I'll reserve judgment for the time being.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey is pretty hairy. I wish they would do the series with the mauraders and the cyborg mutant hunters, or beyonder. I still remember reading the episode were colossus killed first. It was that maurader that looked like he was spining and threw sharp things.

    ReplyDelete