About

Thursday, October 20, 2005

A "Vested" Interest In Safety

Hey, guess what I found out last night? Our current ballistic vests probably won't stop a "spork." (That's a fork/spoon combination found in many camping stores.) According to the manufacturer - whom I refuse to name, lest I act upon my desires to set their corporate offices ablaze - there is a defect in the batch, which is allegedly in the thousands, and it has already cost a New York police officer his life.

As is usually the case, the city of Philadelphia is all over the problem, and the hot rumors are that the defective vests will be replaced sometime between the beginning of November and summer!

Until then, I better hope I don't get into any firefights, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Hey you better hope you don't get sporked by the plastic ones at Taco Bell! Incredible....I just love bureaucracy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SK - I would say something would be done when someone gets killed, but that already happened, so . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. “As is usually the case, the city of Philadelphia is all over the problem, and the hot rumors are that the defective vests will be replaced sometime between the beginning of November and summer!”

    What a friggin disgrace. The thing that bothers me most is that you best believe if one of those clowns that are runnin the city (into the ground) had to wear these vests for safety…they would’ve been replaced yesterday.

    Stay safe, Wyatt. Even though you work in a relatively nice district….you still have the projects near Pathmark to deal with…and perhaps other spots that I don’t know about. Prayerfully, other cops will be hurt or killed as a result of these vests.

    ReplyDelete