About

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Maybe Rebecca Gayheart Can Host The Oscars

Don’t look now, ladies and gentlemen, but Hollywood is looking to push another agenda with its award shows. A few years ago, the Oscars celebrated African-American actors, and awarded the Best Actor and Actress awards to Denzel Washington and Halle Berry respectively. The winners were puzzling, since Washington’s Training Day was not nominated for any other categories, nor was Berry’s Monster’s Ball. (For the record, I loved Washington in Training Day, but Berry did little more than boink Billy Bob Thornton in Monster’s Ball – although that in itself deserves an Oscar.)

This year, alternative lifestyles appear to be the cause of the day. Brokeback Mountain, Peakah’s favorite film about gay cowboys, and Trans-America, where Felicity Huffman plays a trans-gender character, took home most of the prizes at this year’s Golden Globes. It is widely speculated that these films will also bring home Oscars this year.

Here’s my problem with these trends: the Academy Awards should be giving out Oscars based solely on performance, not some liberal agenda. To date, Trans-America has made less than one million dollars at the box office. Box office does not translate into Oscar gold, but how can Huffman be considered for Best Actress if no one has seen the film? The same holds true for Brokeback Mountain. While it has bigger box office returns than Trans-America, the film has done poorly considering its wide release.

If the critics are doling out awards for these films because they truly believe they are the best Hollywood has put forth this year, that’s fine. However, I think that by awarding Trans-America and Brokeback Mountain - despite their less than stellar box office - in the same year is one hell of a coincidence.

It just screams “liberal agenda” to me.

13 comments:

  1. "It just screams “liberal agenda” to me." I was just discussing this very thing with my sisters. Could they be anymore pathetic? That's exactly why I don't watch those award shows. Plus, this year I'd guess a lot of people missed it...hey the 2nd part of 24 was on. I wasn't about to miss that! I'm glad I read CUGs blog...and actually watched it! The entire 4 hours were awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just upset that I didn't have tissues on me when we went to see it and you kept on embarrassingly bursting out into tears like a fairy...

    Good thing I was there to provide you cover and to usher you out or else you would have been taken advantage of by someone else in the theater you mighty mountain of molten lust!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe "Pat" from the Saturday Night Live skits can host the Oscars...it would be a whole new agenda.

    Hey, Wyatt. Are we learning new things about you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what cowboy, I completely agree with you on this! Clint Eastwood looked SO uncomfortable giving the GG for director of this BLOCKBUSTER! ( I watched during the commercials and I taped the movie with Tom Selleck!) It just screams fix!

    Some flaming gay guy was interviewing on the red carpet and asked the women about some very personal things--mainly their underwear--and was even feeling them up! I couldn't believe they were just standing there and not slapping his face! Teri Hatcher did finally twist away from him after he pulled the top of her dress away from her body, touched her stomach and looked down the very low back of her dress! He even jiggled Scarlett Johanssen's breast and tho' she seemed shocked, she let him get away with it! WHAT WAS THAT?! I realize guys most likely liked this, but it was a new low!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria - If it's SOLELY because of their agenda, I'm against it.

    Peak - Thankfully, you're broad shoulders were strong enough to handle my tears! I love you, man!

    RT - Worst SNL skit . . . ever! And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against alternative lifestyles - I have a family member who is gay - but I do have something against trying to profit from a "hot button" issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm there for ya bro...

    *I love you man!!*

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...in the heterosexual sorta way of course...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have learned that for the most part middle America and Hollywood have very different ideas about what makes a good movie. If the average person likes a movie, Hollywood doesn't. Somebody pointed out how successful "The Chronicles of Narnia" has been and yet it didn't even get nominated for awards. I am soooooo sick of hearing about "Brokeback Mountain" and I can guarantee you I'll never see it. I gave out awards today on my blog and it won Nauseating Politically Correct Movie of the week award.

    The only year I was happy with who won an Academy Award was when Mel Gibson's "Braveheart" won.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just happened to hear the Glenn Beck radio show today - he had a very interesting take on this, too.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, you two, if we hear anything close to "I wish I could quit you" come out of your mouths--it's therapy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. linda, thankfully you're there to referee for us...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peak - Of course in a hetero way! You see that Bears game? Helluva game, helluva game!

    LMC - I was happy for Gladiator's award success, but you're right - usually when critics like a film, the box office hates it.

    Mel - In my opinion, Glenn Beck is the best broadcaster in radio today.

    Lin - There's always room for you in our love sandwich! ;)

    Peak - Um, yeah . . . "referee."

    ReplyDelete
  13. You two are all heart--and full of it! I'm not saying what, but you're full of it! Wyatt, if your brain was a search engine, we know what would always be coming up, don't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete