About

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Slovak Far, Slovak Good

Slovakia forward Marian Gaborik

Don’t get me wrong: I am a proud American, but considering the current play of my country’s hockey team (read: inept), it was nice to see the country of my ancestors whipping Yankee butt. After yesterday’s hard-fought 2-1 win over the United States and an easier win against Kazakhstan, Slovakia is undefeated (4-0), and sitting high atop the standings in Group B – a group that includes hockey powerhouses Russia and Sweden. Joy-gasm!

I wore my Marian Gaborik Slovakia jersey to my in-laws’ for dinner last night, and was soundly criticized for not supporting the home team. The way I figure it, the most high profile Americans in Turin so far have been Bode *hic* Miller, Shani “Me, me, me” Davis, and Lindsey “I’ll showboat myself out of a gold medal” Jacobellis.

Yeah, I’ll keep rooting for Slovakia, thank you very much.

(Oh, and speaking of hockey, me and the X-Men have the first of three games in four days tonight. The homestretch of the season is afoot.)

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a Miroslav Satan jersey, just cuz it'd raise eyebrows and hockey jerseys are cool. Plus, when you google him you see neat links like Buffalo Loves Satan and Satan, Islanders shoot down Penguins. Do you need a special permit for hunting penguin?

    On side note, on the York Islanders bio page for him (on the highlights tab), it is sad to note that he was "Named to 1998 Slovakian Olympic hockey team, which did not earn an Olympic birth." We all know how prestigious it can be to have a baby during the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can have it both ways. I have the Gaborik WILD jersey. It's all the Gaborik without all that Slovak.

    ReplyDelete