About

Monday, February 06, 2006

UFC: Unbelievably Frakkin' Cool!

Chuck Liddell pummeling yet another opponent.

On Saturday night, my brother Chris invited me to his abode to watch the Ultimate Fighting Championships. I hadn't seen UFC in years, but since I had the night off, I figured what the hell? UFC 57's main event was a Lightweight Title match between defending champ Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture. It was the third, and possibly final, bout between the two.

When the PPV event started, they bored us to death with thirty minutes of replays from the first two Liddell-Couture bouts. After you had seen the clips once, there was no need to see them again. Anyway, the undercard started, and I immediately noticed a few things:
  • My sister-in-law Kim is almost as big a fan of UFC as my brother. Scary.
  • Color commentator Joe Rogan - the toad from Fear Factor - adds nothing to a broadcast.
  • Some of the UFC participants were in worse shape than me. Doubly scary.

The undercard matches were hit and miss. Some of them were bloodfests Dracula himself would be proud of, but some of them were also diatribes in boredom. That all changed when the title bout began.

Liddell-Couture 3 started innocently enough, with both men sparring and dancing in the center of the octogon. Halfway through Round 1, though, it turned into Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots. Liddell opened up Couture quickly, then dropped him like a sack of Ring Dings. Mmm . . . Ring Dings! As Couture tried to punch Liddell, he slipped, and Liddell punched him halfway to la-la land. It was kickass! Liddell pounced on the fallen Couture, and beat him into submission. I found myself screaming at the TV with the rest of the people in the room.

After the bitter loss, Couture announced his retirement. (As well he should have after that arse kickin'.) However, on the way out of the arena, he was mobbed by fans seeking autographs and pictures. Here's Couture, bleeding like a stuck pig, and he' stopping to sign stuff for the jackasses in attendance. GET SOME MEDICAL ATTENTION, YOU IDIOT!!!

All in all, it was one of the better Pay-Per-View events out there.

3 comments:

  1. No Doubt... that was one of the best matchups the UFC has ever put together... Liddel the striker and Couture the grappler. (adv. Striker in most cases)

    Liddel has one of the greatest right hands I've seen on any fighter in my lifetime... even Mike Tyson. He throws it from any angle he wants and keeps it tucked in tight and explosive.

    It was sad to see Couture get pummeled like that and then to watch him take pictures with all the fans as his face is covered in blood was totally hilarious. But there's no doubt about that man's warrior spirit.

    My wife and I are totally addicted to UFC fighting for the last year(my cuz has fought in several pro fights, I think one of them in the UFC) but he knew his future would be short with continued fights in that league.

    Nice recap.

    Oh and Joe Rogan gets too hot and bothered to do any intelligent broadcasting for the UFC... I think he gets turned on by the fights if you ask me.

    *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah UFC is unbelievable!! They should have run a rerun of that sunday night instead of the Sucky Bowl!!

    Peakah, I think you right on Rogan!!! sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incorrect ssssteve, but close:
    It should read:

    Color commentator Joe Rogan - the toad from Fear Factor - adds nothing!

    ReplyDelete