About

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Great Moments In Wyatt's Sports History

1976-1987 - The First Of Three Parts

It’s a great time to be a sports fan. March Madness is underway, the NASCAR season is in full swing, the NHL playoffs are just around the corner, and Spring Training is almost completed. With so many great plays and even greater players, I thought it appropriate to shed some light on my greatest sports moments. Let’s begin at the beginning.

1976 – I begin my first full season of boys’ softball at Christ the King Elementary. I played catcher. In softball. Obviously, my coach thought I sucked, but what intrigued me the most was that I batted right-handed. I am a lefty, and have been all my life; or so I thought. Somewhere between that old picture in my parents’ house and my teenage years, I switched from right to left. An investigation is now underway.

1980 – The Philadelphia Phillies win the World Series, and with my sloth-like speed, I try to turn a double into a triple. My father, who was the umpire, called me out at third. Thanks, Dad!

1983 – After seven years of softball sub-mediocrity, I have a terrific season playing first base. A stand-up triple and an All-Star selection nullified the Kelso-like mop of hair I sported daily.

1983 – Tired of having a sissy for a son, my parents sign me up for football. In eighth grade, I towered over most of my teammates, but had trouble making the 125-pound weight limit. My coach wanted me – a fourteen-year old - to go on a diet to lose the three pounds necessary to play. I told him to get bent, and my younger brother Chris became the family football hero.

1984 – As a freshman at Archbishop Ryan High School, I tried (and somehow made) the Cross-Country team. By the end of the first season, I was 5’7” and weighed 130 pounds soaking wet. Those were the days.

1986 – Having spent the last three seasons running fifty to sixty miles a week, I still had yet to crack the top five in team scoring. I was the Clint Howard of the squad. No real highlights, but a great character actor.

1987 – For only the second time in twelve years, I finally produce. I was consistently one of the top five finishers on the cross-country team, and was dating my teammate, Denise Siwinski. (Insert sigh here.) Denise was dreamy, the valedictorian of the school, and eventually became a doctor. Not that I don’t love the missus, who is a stay-at-home mom and not earning any dough . . . but I digress.

Coming Soon: (The College Years 1988 – 1991)

6 comments:

  1. So, does that mean you are a switch-hitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any pics of that "Kelso-like mop of hair" you're willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and might I add...

    Damn rain. I'll be listening to the race on the radio tomorrow. That's so not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look closely at that pic batting RH - maybe the negative was flipped when the print was made?

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you had the spunk to try and to keep trying...despite the "Red" like dad...sure your name isn't Eric Forman? Just kidding...how many people can say their dad got to call them "out" in a softball game. Looking forward to the LAX stories...since you coach, I assume you played.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon - God, I hope not. Although I think pink drapes are FAB!

    Rachel - You got NO CHANCE of seeing those. I was a long-haired skinny nerd. Good race today, though. Gordon finishes 4th. Sweet! And I am currently leading my NASCAR pool with Johnson and Gordon.

    Mel - I checked, and it think it's legit. My parents couldn't remember when/if I changed handedness.

    RT - Thankfully, my dad never called me a "dumbass." Yes, I did play at SJU . . . and I was mediocre at best.

    ReplyDelete