About

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

The American Military Cemetery, Normandy, France

While everyone is hitting the beaches, enjoying the barbecues, and spending time with family, please remember those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Today is not about white, sandy beaches. Today is not about cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. Today is about our men and women in uniform. If you see a member of the armed services today, make sure you thank them.

And, while you’re at it, check out Books for Soldiers. It’s a terrific program where you can send care packages of books, non-perishable food, or anything else that a soldier could want. Just click on the link above or at the bottom of my sidebar. It’s easy. Hell, if I can send CD’s and Slim Jims (which were a big hit) to Iraq, anyone can.

6 comments:

  1. Wyatt: I was at the cemetery a few years ago. Now I am not a cemetery person, or a crying person, so I was surprised when I was moved to tears. It's a beautiful spot.
    A few years away, you can see the cliff that our men had to climb, with German soldiers shooting at them the whole time. There's also a bunker left behind by the Germans.
    In the local church, there is a stained glass window commemorating those who liberated Normandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant a few yards away....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Wyatt.
    I'm going to check that site out.

    Thanks, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Wyatt. Books for Soldiers is a great way to support our guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miriam - That's exactly why I wouldn't want to go: I'd be a weeping mess.

    CUG - No problem. They do good work.

    SK - Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, detective!
    I sent a pkg off today!

    ReplyDelete