About

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Negative, Ghost Rider, The Pattern Is Full

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder . . .

I got to spend Father's Day Eve with my son Kyle today. At noon, he had his last t-ball game of the season, and received his trophy - which was a silver-colored baseball player with a small baseball bobble head. It was really cool, and the kids loved them. Immediately afterwards, I took Kyle, my neighbor Denny, and his son Nick to Willow Grove Naval Air Station for their annual air show. Highlighting this year's event: the U.S. Air Force's Thunderbirds (pictured, above).

This was my first ever air show. I wanted to take Kyle last year, but I was in the hospital when the show was scheduled. And, since Willow Grove is on the chopping block - thank you, Donald Rumsfeld and Arlen Specter - you never know which air show will be the last. As we approached the base, I knew it would be a long day, and not just because the temperature hit the low 90's here this afternoon. The streets were jammed, and people were everywhere. Luckily, we found a spot across the street from the entrance, and life was good.

Then, we saw the walk we had ahead of us. The distance from the entrance gate to the tarmac had to be about a mile and a half. Factor in the heat and a five-year old who kept asking, "Are we there yet?," and you get the idea. Thankfully, as we were walking, Kyle and Nick saw some bi-planes - they go both ways - doing acrobatics at a few thousand feet. That put a spring in their steps.

We got settled just in time for a few jets to make ground runs on enemy "targets." They dove toward the ground and dropped ordinance on the far end of the tarmac. Obviously, the ordinance was complicated pyrotechnics, but the kids didn't know - or care. The last exhibition spouted enough smoke for Kyle's eyes to water. Nice!

Finally, the Thunderbirds took the stage. Six F-16 Falcons rolled off the runway for a show that lasted about 30-45 minutes. You name it, they performed it. Loops, rolls, near-misses, and an afterburner demo that made your ears bleed. When Denny bought four sets of ear plugs, he handed me one. I told him, "Please. I have been to NASCAR races. How loud could this be?" My answer was obvious when I was screaming to the missus an hour after we got home.

I almost feel bad for the T-Birds, because The Blue Angels get more press. Of course, if you asked anyone in attendance at Willow Grove this weekend, I don't think you'd get any complaints. The Thunderbirds kick serious arse. I'm glad we got to see them.

BTW, Denny took a ton of action shots - including one of me and Kyle in front of the "Jolly Roger" tail wing of an F-14 Tomcat. I'll post some when I get 'em.

5 comments:

  1. I got to see the Blue Angels and Golden Knights (just thought I'd add that) at Fort Dix, once. (For future reference...Dix has one once a year, too...I think.)

    It is really amazing to see what the planes can do. I liked when they scared the crap out of me with the flight pattern that comes up behind the audience and all of a sudden the roar happens just as they pass....I jumped. I also found myself doing a tip-toe backward toward the fire trucks...They were seriously scaring the crap out of me (didn't help that there was the Italian French accident a few weeks before)

    The little ones must have had a blast! You're a good dad to deal with that heat, kids, and the traffic mess...channel 3 was predicting 250,000 cars to try to go through that area today. (They do tend to sensationalize, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was in the U.S. Navy Sea Cadet Corps for a few years and spent many weekends up at Willow Grove. She had to do boot camp in Jersey, and did training down at Coast Guard Station Cape May and in Philadelphia.

    One of the highlights for her was working the booths when the air show was in town. She had a blast, and she always got us great seats.

    I love the air shows!

    Nice to hear you all had a fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen both the Blue Angels and the T-Birds, and both are outstanding groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, seeing an Air Show without plugs is like standing next to a Top Fueler. I chekced up on them and their engines pump out a painful 165 dB.

    I've had about 5 runs where I was brave enough (read: stupid) to abandon the plugs. Icould literally FEEL my eardrums vibrating. Not to mention the rest of my body...and the stands...and the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the Blue Angels on the beach in Pensacola. They were amazing! I wanted to duck everytime they went over us on a pier!
    Glad you got to take Kyle to see the show.

    ReplyDelete