About

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Programming Note

Some say you should never make decisions in anger.

Some people don't know me very well. The last time a brouhaha erupted like the one late last week, it was the beginning of the end for Middie Back! Blogging turned out to be more stressful than it was worth, so I quit and shut it down - throwing away almost a year of work. This time, I will not make the same mistake. Despite what many may think, I have put a lot of work into this blog; 804 posts in a little over a year. When people criticize it, I get offended. That is my right. The last time I checked, this was my blog, and I can do with it what I please. You don't like it? I don't give a rat's ass.

So, what I have done is enable Comment Moderation - a kickass option created by Blogger to filter out unwanted comments - an option I should have exercised from the beginning. From now on, all comments must be approved by the blog administrator (read: me) before it is seen by the blogosphere. You want Fascism, you got it.

One reader thinks that "Everyone has 'lived' in this blog with little to no disagreements for a long time. Seriously, take a look at some of the responses; there's a lot of butt-smooching going on; Wyatt's butt is big enough, but c'mon. Some of the comments should have "Shiny, Happy People" playing in the background." That was not necessarily the case, but it will be from now on. You folks haven't seen Fascism yet!

Some of you will be offended by the comment moderation, and stop visiting here. For that, I am sorry, but it is a necessary evil. The only other option was to eliminate all comments forever. I will not do that because a family member wants to rip this blog and its readers at every turn. On the other hand, some of you will believe that eliminating comments from a few lunatics is vindication of the rest. That is not the case, either. If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times: I write for me, not you. If you have a problem with that, there's the door.

End of rant.

14 comments:

  1. ...and they let you carry a gun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that it came down to that BUT, Bravo, Wyatt!

    You are da man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you have put alot of work into this blog shows. You're quite good and very funny, which is why I keep returning. Happy to see you aren't going to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried that. Moderating comments was just too much of a pain in the ass, so I stopped it. I banned trolls, then went to the other WordPress option, that anybody with a previously approved comment was unmoderated, but anyone else was moderated. It works pretty well.

    Just sayin, that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is YOUR house, so to speak. You shouldn't have to roll over and let anything go. don't use the Dr. Spock method of blog management!

    Freedom of speech only applies to the government silencing dissent. The rest of the world is more than welcome to get their own blog to vent their views, they don't have to do it here if you don't want them to.

    I actually prefer that the majority of my family don't read my blog. They don't "get it" either. And by "get it", I'm not only referring to the current state of politics, but also to the realities of being a mil-wife during wartime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do ou mean you don't write for me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last comment was from me but I didn't have blogger button pushed. SAtupid blogger. IT should know what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lets see.... Wyatt you are the best! And I read your blog before anyone elses! *wink wink to my blog family reading this* If Philly didn't have on the force it would be Sin City! There that is about as much puckering as I can do! For that I at least ought to get a lunch meeting while I'm in Philly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yeah, Uh, Mmm, Am I first or not I cant tell now! I'll say it anyways Firrrrrrrrrsssssst!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have other effective options beyond comment moderation. If you need some more info, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BWH, Like IP bans or IP bans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that a "Relax, Francis!" is appropriate right around now.

    Wyatt, you know why you shouldn't moderate? 'Cuz F*** em that why!"

    Unless, of course, you're moderating me. In which case DOINK!

    BTW, you got robbed in the cation contest this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If some of your liberal readers just can't get along without conflict, I suggest they go to Shoot A Liberal or my place. We are all about the conflict. We don't mind mild profanity, just don't go throwing around too many F-bombs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doc - I am sorry. I DO blog for you.

    Deathlok - Yeah, I probably shouldn't blog when I am royally pissed off. The moderation may not last forever, but for now, it stays. FYI - all comments pop up after I manually approve them. Keep it clean and non-threatening.

    Every comment thusfar has been approved with the exception of one or two that ripped others' views and/or actions.

    ReplyDelete