About

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Al Bundy Would Be Proud

When I read a story like this, I think "job security."

Gun at pee-wee football: Sad lesson

Wayne Derkotch is charged with brandishing a .357 Magnum in a fight with a coach over his son's playing time. A referee also was arrested for his role in the incident.

Parent Wayne Derkotch, 40, began arguing with the coach of the Northeast Outlaws because he felt his son wasn't getting enough playing time. The argument escalated into a physical fight. Derkotch pulled a .357 Magnum revolver from his waistband, an action witnessed by others at the game.

How ironic is it that Derkotch's son's team name is the "Outlaws?" I don't want to get into a rant about football, but the fact of the matter is that in my experience both football coaches and many football parents are frustrated former players. And that is precisely why incidents like this happen in the first place.

My five-year old wanted to play, and I was on board . . . until I saw his pee wee coach. Personally, I don't think that five and six-year olds shouldn't be screamed at by some jackass pee wee coach. This guy had the temerity to punish his team with laps in full gear in August. The kids were dropping like flies. It's supposed to be about fun, not whether or not some kid will eventually make it to the NFL. Grow up.

(H/T - The Philadelphia Inquirer)

No comments:

Post a Comment