About

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

GOP And The City (2004-2007)

If you are looking for the funny, look somewhere else today. My name is Wyatt Earp, and today is the worst day of my life. Why? I'll tell you . . .

The Man is shutting down GOP and the City.

I am hoping this is a joke, but I fear it is not. That's not his style.

For two and a half years, The Man has been the gold standard of the blogosphere. And despite the title, GOP and the City covered almost every topic, and did so with a surprising mix of humor and wit rarely found on your average blog. His weekend caption contests were always the high point of my week, and I have been lucky enough to even win a few.

As far as bloggers go, The Man has pretty much done it all. He took MoveOn.org to task for their doctored Iraq photo, exposed idiots like Scott Harper, and was the guest of a radio show in his hometown, all while rooting for his St. Louis Cardinals and Tennessee Volunteers. On top of that, he was the driving force behind Blogs4Bauer, whose popularity is officially out of control.

While I have never met The Man, I owe him a debt that can never be repaid. He was kind enough to link my first blog on his sidebar, even though I was just some moron rookie blogger. After I quit the first blog, he remained supportive, and was the first blogger to link SYLG in June, 2005. Since then, he invited me to become a co-contributor at B4B, which was truly an honor, and always drops a comment or two at my place. It sounds bizarre, but I consider him a friend.

The Man is not deleting GOP and the City, so if you haven't visited in a while - or worse yet, never read his stuff - take a moment and stop by. You will not be disappointed. And while you're there, take a second and wish him well. We won't have another one like him for quite some time.

A true giant of the blogosphere has left the building, and the world is a little worse off because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment