About

Thursday, June 07, 2007

People I Like

For those of you looking for this week's edition of People I Hate, you're about to be disappointed. And, yes, I know that everyone who reads this blog is usually disappointed, so please don't bother to point out that little nugget. After the Era of Good Feeling that came with my 2nd Blogiversary yesterday, I have little to no bile to spew today. (Also, The Man told me that I have gotten much more negative than I was in my first blog, so this is mostly done out of spite.)

Johnny Depp

His politics do not entertain me, and his residence (France) does not enthrall me, but Johnny Depp may be the most versatile actor working today. My friend Bill and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End last night, and although the film was long - very long - Depp's performance was once again worth the price of admission. Captain Jack Sparrow may be his greatest character, but it is not his only memorable one.

Depp excelled as Ichabod Crane in Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. He was masterful as rogue CIA agent Sands in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. And he held his own with Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco. Face it, America: Johnny Depp is currently our best thespian.

Shawn Ryan

Ryan is the creator of the brilliant FX series, The Shield. The series aired its season finale on Tuesday night, and although the ending was a little anti-climactic - as opposed to last season's grenade-dropping, jaw-dropping episode - this season was awesome. In fairness, Ryan is surrounded by a terrific cast, including Michael Chiklis (Vic Mackey), Walton Goggins (Shane Vendrell), and Jay Karnes (Dutch), but he is the man who pulls all of the forces together. Despite the tinge of brutality and corruption surrounding his characters, The Shield is still the best cop show on television.

Fred Dalton Thompson

The actor and former Republican U.S. Senator from Tennessee is expected to announce his intention to run for President in 2008 as early as today. With all due respect to the GOP hopefuls currently in the race, I think Fred has the best shot at winning this thing and saving the country from the Hill-dabeast. He's charismatic, strong-willed, and is more conservative than most of the other candidates put together. And, believe me, the Republican voters need a candidate that shares their core values, not some schlub from Arizona who wants amnesty for illegals. Run, Fred, Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment