About

Friday, June 15, 2007

Stop The Country, I Wanna Get Off

This damned legislation isn't going away, is it? We might as well start learning Spanish, rapidamente!
WASHINGTON - Senate leaders vowed Thursday night to revive stalled immigration legislation as soon as next week, capping a furious rescue attempt led by President Bush.

The decision, announced by Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and his Republican counterpart, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, envisions a final vote on the complex bill before lawmakers begin their Fourth of July vacation.

The legislation has generated intense controversy, particularly for provisions that could lead to eventual citizenship for many of the estimated 12 million immigrants now in the country unlawfully. The bill also calls for greater border security and a crackdown on the hiring of illegal employees. (H/T - Yahoo!)
I swear to God, I have tried to ignore this story, if only to avoid the inevitable brain aneurysm. And just when you think you're clear, the politicians come back and hit you in the face with a burrito. Having wiped off the chile con carne, I can now comment.

First of all, any time you have President Bush and "Dingy" Harry Reid on the same side of an issue, you had better button up your pants. Why? Because you're about to get penetrated. The only pairing that I find more frightening is Rosie O'Donnell and Michael Moore. Not because of their politics, but because I'm afraid they may actually eat me!

Second of all, I think it has become abundantly clear that no one in this country wants to see 12 million felons pardoned. And that's what we're talking about, kids: felons who entered this country illegally. When I think of this issue, I think of my good friends Kevin and Deanna in Tucson, Arizona. When we were staying with them last summer, we saw this nonsense firsthand. I brought up the illegals issue, and they both went off. Kevin said, "You (Easterners) don't have any idea how bad it is." I replied, "I think I do. I read about it all the time." Kevin retorted, "Believe me. You have NO IDEA."

He's right, because when it comes down to it, most of these illegals are settling in the Southwest, and not in sunny Philadelphia. He is the one who has to deal with this, not me.

But we don't have to see anyone deal with it. President Bush is dead wrong about this pardon. Legislation such as this helps no one. Not the illegals, not the citizens of this country, and certainly not the idiots in Washington, D.C. This country was founded upon the ideals of freedom, and because of that, America is seen for the terrific country that it is. However, America was also founded upon law and order. And since this country's earliest days, people came to America in a lawful fashion, learned the language, and worked hard to earn their keep.

Somewhere along the way, we decided that these ideals were no longer necessary, and the country is suffering because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment