About

Friday, July 27, 2007

The Blogger Reflection Award

One of the problems with being so insecure is that when a person writes something nice about you, you don't know how to appropriately respond. Such is the case here, as Scully from Skywritings nominated me for a Blogger Reflection Award. Here is what she wrote about little ol' me:
The Poet Victor Hugo wrote of the people in his home town "you loved them well and they remain, still with nothing to do, no money no will". As I contemplate all the places I have lived due to my work, it occurs to me that one of my failings is this. I never really stayed in one place long enough develop a connection to a city to the point I'd put my life out there on the line for it's people, with all their flaws and foibles, and not expect a whole lot in return, except someone shooting at me or cutting my budget. SYLG is a Police Detective in the big city of Philly, which he writes of with clarity and patience, as well as the things he loves about his life there. He writes with a submerged sense of the absurd that rises to the surface for air, providing us a glimpse of genuine wit and soul when it does.
And now I can retire SYLG, because that is officially the nicest thing anyone has ever written about me and/or this crime scene I call a blog. (I'm kidding, please don't send me e-mail!) I wish I could adequately express my appreciation for such kind words, but I am afraid that I am at a loss. In lieu of reciprocal praise, if everyone would please overload Scully's blog with hits today, I would be most grateful.

Of course, what kind of recipient would I be if I didn't follow the rules? Here they are:
1. Copy this post (meaning the rules).
2. Reflect on five bloggers and write a least a paragraph about each one.
3. Make sure you link this post so others can read it and the rules.
4. Go leave your chosen bloggers a comment and let them know they’ve been given the award.
5. Put the award icon on your site.

"This award should make you reflect on five bloggers who have been an encouragement, a source of love, impacted you in some way, and have been a Godly example to you. Five Bloggers who when you reflect on them you get a sense of pride and joy . . . of knowing them and being blessed by them.”
Okay, me and The Lord don't exactly see eye-to-eye. Besides, all of the best bloggers are affiliated with Satan. However, I'm pretty sure I can wrangle up five bloggers who meet the criteria. Here goes . . .

RT from Public Pondering. RT is SYLG's number-one stalker; and I say that with the utmost respect. Even when I post some boring claptrap that makes people want to retch, she is always there to post an enlightening comment. I converted her to the Dark Side - read: Blogger - almost a year ago, and she has really shined. I consider her the Bill Bennett of the blogosphere: she is well-informed and well-spoken, without being a sarcastic smart ass like some people. What? Why is everyone looking at me?

Damian G. from Conservathink. Damian is one of those Ned Flanders Jesus-types; and I actually say that with respect. Politically, he is in the far right lane, but his posts are entertaining and informative to those out in left field. His intelligence belies his youth, and it's refreshing to hear someone his age not ranting about Paris Hilton or American Idol.

Miriam from Miriam's Ideas. Miriam is a rare find: witty and intelligent (she's a librarian, after all) with a side order of sarcasm. In a recent post entitled, "Jews don't want to run the world," she began with, "We've been running the world long enough, and we're tired." Now, that's funny! She's also a rarity in the blogosphere because she can perfectly summarize the point she's trying to make with refreshing brevity.

Deathlok from The Temerity of High Maintenance. You would never figure a comic book geek/Government slacker to be involved in his church, but Deathlok aptly juggles his time between The Bible and Iron Man previews. Deathlok is a laugh riot who also happens to know more about pop culture than everyone I know put together. The master of Quizzo gets a nomination from me.

JimmyB from The Conservative UAW Guy. JimmyB likes guns. In a related story, SYLG often states the obvious. In those rare moments when he's not cuddling with his firepower or posting about how liberal moonbats are a waste of skin, Jimmy is a thoughtful, provocative blogger. I sometimes imagine him repeating this line from A Few Good Men: "I have two books at my bedside, Lieutenant: the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer, Colonel Nathan R. Jessep, and the Lord our God." Believe me, JimmyB is one of those few good men.

No comments:

Post a Comment