About

Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Knee To The Groin

For all of you Wyatt Haters out there - and there are a lot of you - I have good news: my ice hockey career may be over.

It appears that the injury I suffered during Tuesday night's hockey game is much more severe than I first thought. So much so, that when I went to the doctor's office for my quarterly cholesterol check - It's down! - I asked him to take a look at it.

Apparently, he didn't like what he saw.

He did preliminary tests on my ACL and MCL, and both seemed okay. That was good, since a torn ligament would mean certain death for my playing days. However, when he asked my to lift the leg, I screamed after raising it an inch or so. His response: "It hurts that much after that little movement?" Note to Doc: Patients do not want to see incredulous looks during an exam! Long story short: I need an x-ray and an MRI. If the MRI shows damage, it'll be time to hang up my skates after twenty years.

The good news is that although my Spring Season is now over, the Winter Season doesn't start until late September. If the damage is minimal, I may be ready to play by then. If the damage is severe - or, God forbid, something that requires surgery - I'm done. I'll still come to the games and watch my teammates from the stands, but I won't like it.

Simply stated, without ice hockey, I'll feel like dying.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment