About

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Attention, Philadelphia Media!

This is the kind of story/photo you should be publishing about the Philadelphia Police Department! (Click the photo to embiggen.)

How did you spend your Saturday? Well, while most of you were asleep (6am), these police officers were standing on a busy Philadelphia overpass, talking down a teenage jumper. I know it is difficult for my fellow citizens to believe, but most of the members of the PPD are hard-working, everyday heroes, who make the amazing seem like the ordinary.

I am especially proud of this photo (taken by Captain America) because this event occurred in my former district. I won't embarrass anyone by identifying them by name, but the officer (in blue) is a terrific cop who would do anything for a fellow officer. (He also comments on SYLG as "Wagonsux".) The lieutenant (in white) is one of the best bosses I have ever had. Both will tell you that their actions here were nothing to brag about, but the fact of the matter is that they saved this kid's life.

And the sad part about all of this? Very few people will ever know about it.

Important Update! The officer sent me an e-mail explaining the incident. I thought it was important for everyone to know:
The girl, yes it was a girl, was on the bridge close to an hour. She has some serious issues. Just before that picture was taken she moved off the railing and onto the ledge. I thought she was going to go. I convinced her she would not die if she jumped. I said she'd break both legs, and it will hurt REAL bad. I could see her thinking about it. I knew then we had her.

In the shot, [the lieutenant] is holding a cell phone so she could talk to her father. She kept saying how much she loved Dad, so I thought it might help for her to talk to him. It worked.

It was a different experience. One I hope to never be involved with again.
America, these two police officers are genuine heroes. They should be treated as such.

(Huge Hat Tip to Captain America!)

(Linked at OTB's Beltway Traffic Jam.)

No comments:

Post a Comment