About

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

He Lives On Gay Street

You have to admire John Street for taking a controversial stand . . . about a month before he leaves office after an eight-year reign.
PHILADELPHIA - Mayor John Street, once regarded as an enemy of the gay community for opposing same-sex partner benefits, is to preside over his first same-sex commitment ceremony this weekend.

Street said he was asked to officiate at the ceremony for Ryan Bunch and Micah Mahjoubian, a longtime colleague, on Saturday at City Hall.

"Micah is my friend. He has been in my campaign and has been in my administration for eight years," Street said. "I've come to respect him as a person, and if this is something he would like for me to do, then I'd like to do it for him."

About 125 guests are expected at the ceremony, which will have no legal weight since Pennsylvania prohibits gay marriage.
As priceless as this story appears, this next quote will go in the annals of history as the funniest ever:
"It's not marriage. It's not real marriage. They can't be married," said Street, a Seventh-day Adventist. "It's not a religious ceremony. I mean, it's not really marriage." (H/T - Yahoo! via Randal Graves)
I'm really going to miss John Street. Michael Nutter will never give me this much material!

Update: Speaking of Mayor Street, Captain America just posted the funniest video ever of this buffoon! You can see the jocularity HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment