About

Friday, December 28, 2007

150,000!

And, before you ask, no, it the lucky visitor wasn't me.

Well, it took two and a half years, but this insipid little blog finally reached 150,000 hits. That's some pretty nice territory. It's not Ambulance Driver numbers - Hell, it's not even GOP and the City numbers, and he's been retired for a year! - but it's pretty nice company. It almost makes me feel good that I didn't quit blogging (although I did seriously consider it twice).

I would love to stand here and tell you that I don't care about the hits, but everyone who knows me knows that that's just bunk. I never used to care about the hits. I mean, why worry about readers when you don't have any? But when this blog started to gain a measure of popularity, I started to care about the numbers more and more. Now, it's almost to the point that I care about the numbers more than I care about the blogging.

And that's a problem.

I started this thing because I wanted to write. Period. It was a release that sorely needed after a day of dealing with idiots at work. It was fun, and I thought maybe, just maybe, it would lead to good things. After landing the column at Family Security Matters, that theory has proven to be correct. If I could quit my job tomorrow and make a career out of writing, I'd do it. I can't - yet - but it's an honor to write for FSM.

What I don't want is to see SYLG suffer because of these good things, and I'm afraid it was headed in that direction. I love getting comments, but when there are so few in a post, I fret that the post wasn't very inspiring. I worry about such things, mostly because I am an obsessive-compulsive basket case. I promised myself I would try to respond to every comment on every post, and thus far, I think I have done a decent job.

What I'm trying to say - in the most roundabout way possible - is that I am going to put more effort into SYLG, starting today. I promise to do my best to not put up lazy, boring posts. In short, I promise to try and win you over again.

Thank you all so very much for reading. Without you, I am nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment