About

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The English Language: A Criminal's Guide

When I tell stories about my work day, most people they are unbelievable. My co-workers tell me that if I wrote a book about the criminally moronic that comprises my division, it would have to be filed under "Fiction."

While I concede that point, so as a service to my readers, I wanted to give you a glossary of popular terms used by the criminal element. It should facilitate your understanding of what detectives have to deal with during interviews and phone conversations. Let's go!

Behind the fact that . . . A verbose phrase used to replace because.

"The gentleman robbed me point of gun behind the fact that he wanted my cell phone."

This, that, and the third. Another verbose phrase used when listing items or circumstances. It is widely utilized to prove that thugs can count to the number three.

"So, I approached this citizen, smacked him around a little, and this, that, and the third."

Fell out. v. A synonym of either laughed or panicked, it is a catch-all for any excited response.

"After watching my chum assault the woman, I just fell out."

Munt(z). n. A unit of time corresponding to the moon's cycle; roughly 30 days or four weeks.

"I know you have a warrant out for my brother, but I haven't seen him in muntz."

Jawn. n. A term used primarily in Philadelphia to describe any noun whatsoever.

"Stop that gentleman! He just pilfered my jawn!"

Well, there you are. A few common words and phrases police officers and detectives are subjected to every day. I hope this education was enlightening. See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment