About

Monday, February 25, 2008

Hitler And Frankenstein On India Ballot

You can't make this stuff up, kids.

(CNN) -- Think Barack Hussein Obama has it rough campaigning for president with a name like that? The Illinois senator has nothing on Frankenstein Momin. Or Billy Kid Sangma. Or Adolf Lu Hitler Marak.

The three men are among dozens of others with equally colorful names who are competing for legislative seats in Meghalaya, a remote northeast Indian state, on March 3.

There are about 60 seats up for grabs, 331 candidates vying, and no shortage of unusual names.

Yeah, the United States had a Frankenstein running for president, too. His real name was John Kerry, and his platform was, "Fire bad!"

"It would be unfair to have a laugh at these names. They're reflective of the names here," David R. Syiemlieh, professor of history at the North Eastern Hill University in the capital city of Shillong, told CNN on Monday.

Hitler and Frankenstein are reflective of the names in India? Are you kidding me? What's reflective of the names in Romania? Dracula???

"Maybe my parents liked the name and hence christened me Hitler," he once told the Hindustan Times newspaper. "I am happy with my name, although I don't have any dictatorial tendencies." (H/T - CNN)

Yeah, that's what the original Hitler told people. If I were you, I'd be voting for someone with a less frightening name. There has to be a Ghandi on the ballot, right? It's frakkin' India!

No comments:

Post a Comment