About

Monday, February 11, 2008

NHL Star Zednik's Carotid Artery Cut By Skate

Note to self: Do not let the missus see this story!

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik lost five units of blood, but doctors never considered his life in jeopardy after the player had his carotid artery nearly severed by a teammate's skate in a freak and frightening accident.

Zednik underwent an hour of surgery to reconnect the artery Sunday night and was listed in stable condition in the intensive care unit at Buffalo General Hospital on Monday. He was awake and cooperative with the medical staff, doctors said.

Zednik was sliced across the right side of the throat by teammate Olli Jokinen's skate midway through the third period of Buffalo's 5-3 victory. Doctors said the skate blade just missed cutting the jugular vein. (H/T - AP via Yahoo!)

Incredibly, it appears that Zednik may play again. The doctors said that he can return to normal activity in about six to eight weeks. Ironically, the incident occurred in Buffalo, New York; the same place where Sabres goaltender Clint Malarchuk had had his jugular sliced by an opponent's skate. Malarchuk nearly died.

I cannot speak for my teammates, but when I'm playing, the last thing I think about is an injury. ( The first thing I think about is not missing a wide open net, like I did last night.) For me, it's like the job: I know I can go to work and never come home, but I don't think about it. Otherwise, I would go insane - well, more insane. The ice rink is still my happy place - happier now after last night's win - and it will continue to be, even after reading stories like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment