About

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Maybe We Should Call Him Barack O-ham-a?

The next time Barack Obama says claims he is a "man of the people," I'm gonna punch him in the groin.

What, no whiz? Sen. Barack Obama sampled $100 ham, but didn't chow down on a cheesesteak during a visit to the Italian Market yesterday.

During a half-hour tour of the market, Obama sampled wares at Claudio Specialty Food and DiBruno Brothers - where he noshed on a Spanish ham that retails for $99.99 a pound.

Staff at DiBruno's told him the ham only recently became available because it was previously barred by the FDA.

"All I know is it tastes good," Obama said. As good as whiz with onions?


Wow, he's just like us! If I had a nickel for every time I sampled $100 ham, I'd have . . . well, nothing.

In fact, neither Obama nor Sen. Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, has made the traditional stop at South Philly cheesesteak establishments Pat's or Geno's.

But Obama last night told a crowd of supporters gathered at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, "I'm going to get a cheesesteak the next time I come."


Yeah, I'll be holding my breath for that.

Clinton spokesman Mark Nevins said he wanted her "to have an opportunity to visit the Philadelphia landmarks, including the great cheesesteak places." (H/T - The Philadelphia Daily News)

Don't worry, Senator. You'll have plenty of time to sample the local cuisine while Obama is winning the Democrat nomination.

I'm needling Obama here primarily because I want to see Randal's head explode, but the fact of the matter is that no politician running for national office is a "man of the people." These folks are filthy stinking rich, and are completely out of touch with the commonfolk. Read: us. (That's why it drives me crazy when Obama and Clinton crow about tax breaks for the rich. YOU'RE THE RICH!!!) I don't begrudge them their wealth, but it really irks me when they tell us that they are no different than we are. I don't know about you, but I don't have a private jet at my disposal, own a luxurious summer home, or sample $100 ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment