About

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Doing It By The Book

Hey, I wrote a book. Well, I co-wrote a novel with my friend Pam from Blogmeister USA.

Here’s the back story:

Pam started working on a murder mystery in late 2008. It was set in Connecticut, and she wanted me to be a technical advisor for all things police. I jumped at the opportunity because Pam got me my former gig at Family Security Matters, and because Pam is a terrific writer. (She writes for Breitbart’s Big Hollywood, American Spectator, and other top sites.) I gave her what I could, with the caveat that everything was coming from a Philly point of view. I told her that reports and procedures in CT may be different.

After a few months of contribution, Pam asked me to be a co-author on January 12, 2009. We decided to move the setting from Connecticut to Philly, and Only Son was born.

I’ve been keeping the secret ever since; more than three years. New league record!

Writing, to me, has always been easy. (Maybe that’s why I’m not that great at it.) Writing this book, however, was difficult; especially when your co-author lives 180 miles away. We finished the final draft in October 2010, and tried shopping it to agents for about a year. When we were unsuccessful, we decided to self-publish through CreateSpace, a division of Amazon. I went to work on finalizing everything and getting it truly ready to publish. That took about a month. Now, we’re up and ready to go, and my only worry is that I missed some giant, glaring error.



And no, I won't be getting rich off this. If you knew the amount of royalties we get from a sale, you’d be shocked. Seriously. Mrs. Earp can attest to that; she’s seen the numbers. No one is getting rich by self-publishing, and all of the royalties earned are divided in half (half for me, half for Pam).

Additionally, anyone who knows me knows full well that all I ever wanted was to be a published author. It’s what I’ve wanted since high school. My name on that book means more to me than any money generated from this.

That being said, I hope you will buy the book. If you have a blog, website, or social media page, I would really appreciate some link pimping. This is truly the most important (non-family) thing that I have ever done in my life. The fact that Pam allowed me to publish it on what would have been my grandfather's birthday was icing on the cake.

I’ll leave you with this. If you really like the book, Pam gets all the credit. If not, I get all the blame. Feel free to post your thoughts (good or bad) on the book here, or feel free to send me an e-mail.

Here are the links for the book. Keep in mind, CreateSpace gives better royalties than Amazon, and the price is the same at both sites. Obviously, I’d ask you to buy from CreateSpace, but that’s up to you.

CREATESPACE LINK.


AMAZON LINK.


KINDLE EDITION.


Thanks for listening.