About

Thursday, August 01, 2024

So, Roanoke Was Pretty Fantastic

We've been to Roanoke a few times, but we never went to the Roanaoke Museum. We did that on Tuesday, and wow, that place was really great. There is a replica of the Queen Elizabeth and you can take the tour. The ship is much smaller that you would think, but the people on the ship know their stuff.
One of the guys was from England, and he knew pretty much everything.
The ship is fantastic, and the British guy said, there wasn't much room for anyone other than the captain and a few of his subordinates. He wasn't wrong. It was tiny, but the ship is truly amazing.
The Saint George's flag was on the ship, obviously, but it was being flown all around the museum. I had to ask the British guy about the green on the flag, because I had no idea why it was on there. (I suspect my friend is screaming in her house right now.)
Finally, we have the nail master. This woman was fantastic. She showed us how to make nails in the 1500's, and how people would move up, become an apprentice, then be able to work on their own. She was great. Had no problem answering questions, and if you saw the previous posts, you'd see that she gave Kyle the nail she created. Kyle thought is was awesome.
Yeah, it was a pretty good day.

5 comments:

  1. You can tell as I get even older, I'm even stupider. Oops on the above. Thought I was typing my name into the from field. Oh well...

    The Roanoke things sounds like it was great fun. Maybe I'm some kind of stupid (as evidenced above) but I never even though about how a nail was made 500 years ago. Watching one made, then getting to keep it. Very cool. Only ship I ever toured was the USS Constitution in Boston and some submarine in Portsmouth, NH. Well, not counting the two aircraft carriers on which I served - CVA-31 the USS Bon Homme Richard and CVA-34 the USS Oriskany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was awesome. Very knowledgeable and she seemed really hot in her outfit, what with the fire so close to her. But she was really great at her craft.

      Delete
    2. We went to the Battleship New Jersey with Kyle and Erik. They loved it. The sailors who worked on the NJ were great and they knew every nook and cranny of the ship.

      Delete
  2. I was on the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-34), and Essex class aircraft carrier. We docked in Yokasuka, Japan, opposite the USS New Jersey. The battleship was HUGE and from my perspective was larger than the old WWII aircraft carrier. I was duly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always loved the navy, mostly because their ships were just awesome.

      Delete