About

Thursday, August 08, 2024

Remembering Cynthia "Cindy" Felicetti

Since I deleted my last blog, I realized that I got rid of a lot of good posts. And since I don't remember a lot of the posts, I figured I would continue to post about friends who have passed away.
Today I will be remembering Cynthia "Cindy" Felicetti.
When I was in the Police Academy, I fractured my foot toward the end of the academy. The department wanted me out, but I struggled to get through the run - on a fractured foot. The department would not allow me to have my photo with the rest of my class, and when I finally got sworn in, I was the only new officer at the 24th District. (I was on the overnight shift.) At the time, it was a war zone, and I wasn't familiar of the division, and it was pretty scary as a brand new cop in a solo car.
After a week or two, I started getting the hang of things, and I pulled over a vehicle. It was about 5am, and it was usually quiet at the time. I stopped the vehicle - it was listed as stolen - and I called it in. It took maybe two minutes for Cindy and Mary to show up. Mary got out first, and said, "What are you doing? Don't ever pull over a vehicle unless you have backup!" Mary was great. She was stern, and angry, but she didn't scream at me.
Cindy, for her part, was much more lenient, but she also said I need to keep my eyes open.
Not soon afterward, I was on patrol and I heard gunfire. I called it in and raced to the scene. I pulled up to the vehicle, and saw he was shot twice in the chest. I got on the air and begged for an ambulance. The man was looking at me, and the only thing I thought was, "This guy is going to die."
Cindy showed up fairly quickly and asked what happened. I was in a panic, and I didn't know what to do. Cindy, calmed me down and said, "You were terrific on the air. Your were calm, you called for the medics, and you stayed with the man. For a new officer, you did great."
After a while, Cindy and I were starting to become friends. When the shift was almost over, we would meet at Ruth Street where there was a parking lot. It never failed. Cindy would say, "Okay, I'm going to take a nap, and you're going to stay awake." I didn't mind, but occasionally, I'd ask, "When can I get some sleep?" She would say something along the lines of, "Umm, eventually."
Eventually never came. At one point, I had to work the parking lot/gas station for the district. Cindy stopped by and asked if I needed anything. She said she would bring something along anyway, because I was in the lot by myself. When she left, she said, "I like your shirt, but I think it's a little tight." That was the day I swooned.
Cindy was born in 1969 and passed away from cancer in 2021.
Cindy didn't have to take me under her wings. She didn't have to talk to me. She didn't have to help me become a good cop, but she did all that anyway. I didn't know she passed away until afterward. I never got the chance to pay respects for the woman who did more for me than anyone in this department.
Sadly our agency mourns the loss of Active Police Officer Cynthia Felicetti at the age of 51. She lost a courageous battle with cancer last night after serving for 31 years. Prayers are solicited for her family and those who knew her during this tragic time. - Inspector Verdell Johnson, Philadelphia Police Department.
When I found out that Cindy passed away, I wrote this on her obituary:
"Cindy, you taught me more about policing in my first two years than I could ever imagine. I will miss you terribly, and I hope you now have peace."
Cindy was amazing in every way. It's rare you can find someone so special that it hurts.

2 comments:

  1. No comments, eh... Sounds like a great friend and I'm glad you shared this story. Don't remember it from the old blog, but you ended up with a lot of great people in you life. Sounds like she will be missed. --- RNG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was the nicest person I ever met in this job. I guarantee she's the life of the party in Heaven.

      Delete