About

Monday, July 25, 2005

Don't Mess With Texas!

Was there ever any doubt?

For the past month, I have inundated my loyal readers with daily updates from the 2005 Tour de France (er, Lance). Although you have been too kind to tell me, I realize that there are many out there that were getting tired of the constant coverage. Relax, kids, it's all over. And, for the seventh straight time, American Lance Armstrong is the King of the Road!

And, it wasn't even close.

Of course, it isn't all joy in Mudville today, because the end of this year's Tour means the end of Lance's career. Armstrong has officially retired - a real retirement, not a Michael Jordan "retirement." Undoubtedly the greatest cyclist ever - and in my opinion, the greatest athlete ever (the guy beat cancer, man!) - Armstrong is going out at the pinnacle of his career. As Tyler D commented, he could probably win ten straight! I believe that.

If there's any downside to the Lance Armstrong story, it's that there still too many people who don't appreciate what he's done. Cycling is still a fringe sport in America (although I don't know why, as I saw every exciting stage on TV), and there are knuckleheads who see the headlines and reply, "That's nice."

Those people will never know what dedication it takes to train for the Tour. Those people will never know what courage it takes to fight through cancer. Those people will never know what a true role model Lance Armstrong has always been. Lance Armstrong is not just the ultimate athlete, he is also the ultimate human being.

I'll miss watching him ride.

4 comments:

  1. Another downside is that he's moving to the south of France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. USA! USA!

    You do rock, Wyatt!!!

    (Disable your dang comments on me, will ya?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND he's with Sheryl Ho--- I mean Crow.

    "War is never the answer"?

    Apparently, some one ATE crow this past Election...

    ReplyDelete