About

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Meme-nto!

meme: n A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

The lovely and talented Pam Meister tagged me for a meme. As a history buff, I am excited to participate. Here's my question: What ten events would you care to witness if you could travel in time and observe them?
  • I hate to be morbid right off the bat, but I would have loved to be in Dallas in November 22, 1963. I want to know if my jackass Senator (Arlen Specter) was right about a "magic bullet," or if Oswald acted alone. By the way, if Oswald was the lone shooter, he was a helluva shot.
  • Although it would be a hairy situation, I would have loved to witness the Battle of Stalingrad (1942-43). Arguably the turning point of World War II, the Soviets dug in and stopped the Nazi juggernaut in their tracks. Had it not been for the Soviets, most of Eastern Europe would still be speaking German.
  • Since my favorite President is Theodore Roosevelt, put me inside Wilcox Mansion, Buffalo, New York, September, 1901. There, TR was sworn in as POTUS (after the assassination of William McKinley) in a solemn ceremony. His inaugural speech was the shortest ever, but straightforward and to the point; just like Roosevelt.
  • Considering the title of this blog (and my alias - what, you thought my name was really Wyatt Earp?) I can't resist this one: Tombstone, Arizona, October 26, 1881. Wyatt Earp, his brothers Virgil and Morgan, and Doc Holliday fought the Clantons and the McLaurys at the O.K. Corral. Thirty shots were fired in thirty seconds. Yikes!
  • My favorite football team is the Denver Broncos. My favorite football player of all time is John Elway. Hence, let me bear witness (in person) to the Broncos' first Super Bowl win (since I had to hear it from my friends after the previous losses) in 1997. Beating Brett Fahr-vre-vre and the Packers: does it get any sweeter?
  • I hate to keep going back to violence, but I'd like to be present for the D-Day invasion. (Witnessing at a safe distance, of course.) I think EVERY American should bear witness to the sacrifices our troops make every day, and not just on June 6, 1944.
  • I'm a huge hockey fan (remember hockey?). I remember when I was 11 years old listening to the 1980 Olympics at Lake Placid. And I remember missing the Miracle on Ice game! Oh, to be in the stands for the victory over the Soviets. It's great to see the tapes - and even the film "Miracle," which was terrific - but it's not the same as being there.
  • Knowing what I know now, I'd also like to travel back in time to the night I lost my virginity. The current me could bark instructions to the younger me, and tell myself what I was doing wrong! (Sorry, I guess that was inappropriate.)
  • Let's go way back: allow me to sit silently in the room while William Shakespeare is writing Hamlet. It would be an honor to be present while he gave birth to his greatest work.
  • Finally, speaking of giving birth, how could I resist being present for the birth of Christ? Whether you think he is the Son of God or merely a prophet, there's no denying his impact on the world.
Well, there you go. I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks, Pam! Damian, CUG, Dr. Phat Tony: You're up!

3 comments:

  1. ya I got mine up (the answers you filthy minded gun slinger)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being interested in US History, especially when we were settling the west, Being at the OK Corral would have been awesome. Or maybe when Pat Garrett "allegedly" shot Billy the Kid, Or any time Wild Bill took care of a bad man. I would like to find out how fast a fast gunman realy was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. - Tee hee hee! You read my mind. "Heh, heh, he said 'up'"

    Pam - Thanks, it was a natural.

    Steve - I hate to admit it, but many cops I know "practice" their draw speed at the pistol range. (Yeah, we're children.) I think I draw pretty fast, but I doubt nearly as fast as some of the Old West legends.

    ReplyDelete