About

Monday, October 24, 2005

Cue Lou Gehrig

"You suck-diddly-uck Flanders!" - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Today, I consider myself the suckiest man on the face of the earth.

At some point in every man's life comes the realization that he isn't a kid anymore. Mine came about six years ago, when I hit the big 3-0. Still, I kept convincing myself that I could play ice hockey with kids ten years younger than me, because I was smarter, knew more about the game, and gosh darn it, people liked me. (Wow, a Stuart Smalley reference!) Last night, I realized that my brain doesn't have to chase these little bastards up and down the ice - my legs do.

Nothing like having life kick you in the jimmies.

Remember that one game winning streak we had? Me neither. Our team lost again last night, 7-3, and it wasn't even that close. Our record is now 1-2, and even thought it is a 30-game season, things are looking about as good as Kirstie Alley in a thong.

10 comments:

  1. Hope the next game goes better.
    I owe you one for the Kirsty reference! Yeesh!

    Yeah, getting old is a b@@ch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm off today (THANK GOD!) and I'm spending my time recovering from two bad knees, a hyper-extended elbow, and overall malaise. Of course, my 4-year old is now begging me to come play street hockey with him.

    Shoot me now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. second the motion on the Kirsty reference! That is Nasty! with a capital N!

    You sound just like me on the hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would that be pre-Weight Watchers Kirsty or post? Either one is pretty gross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would that be pre-Weight Watchers Kirsty or post? Either one is pretty gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I put on skates (I'm about your age) I couldn't get off the couch for a week. I went back for an alumni game against the current team from my High School. I never remember wheezing that way back then. The only thing I found more humiliating than my performance on the ice was how horrendously long the recovery process was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve - Sorry, but you got my point, right?

    TM - Yeah, either one will shift that blood flow right back to your brain.

    Tony B - I usually exaggerate about my play (because I always accentuate the negative) but I am ready to go after a week of recovery, so I can't be COMPLETELY outta shape. I'm 5'9", and run about 220 now, so I AM overweight, but my main problem on the ice is mental lapses. I agree with you, though - I don't remember it being this rough on the old frame even five years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The big 30, six years ago?

    Jeez, where's my walker ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you were here, your 4 year old could be getting you to play ice hockey.

    It's snowing here. Not even November. I want to go back to Indiana!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prof - That sucks! We've been bitchin' about all the rain. Guess we're getting off easy!

    ReplyDelete