About

Saturday, October 15, 2005

A-Maize-ing Grace

I have never prayed harder for a Michigan football win as I will today. This afternoon at 3:30pm (EDT), my Wolverines will be battling the (highly dubious) 6-0 Penn State Nittany Lions. Loyal readers of SYLG know that my three favorite college football teams are Michigan, and whomever is playing Notre Dame and PSU. Today's matchup, however, is really important to yours truly, because a bet is involved. No, it's not money, but something more desirable - pride.

My in-laws are rabid PSU fans. My brother-in-law went there, and since my wife's school is Division III, no one cares about them. Simply stated, the entire clan is obnoxious with the Blue and White, and when their only daughter married a huge Michigan booster, all was not well in Mudville. So, it was no surprise when my brother-in-law Mike e-mailed me the challenge:
  • If Michigan wins, I get to dress Mike in the Blue and Maize from head to toe for our family dinner on Sunday evening, as well as our hockey game Sunday night.
  • If Penn State (God forbid) wins, I will be humiliated by wearing Nittany Lion apparel in front of the in-laws and my hockey team.

That's the deal. And I have no confidence in the Wolverines to pull this one off, so if I don't post on Sunday or Monday, it's because I literally died of embarrassment.

UPDATE: Michigan scored a game-winning TD with 0:01 on the clock!!! I'm still waiting for my heart to start beating again.

6 comments:

  1. Is Nittany a place, an adjective, or is it a certain kind of lion? Never saw "nittany lions" on Animal Planet, nor have I heard anyone say "Hey we're going to Nittany, wanna come?" or "You are really nittany today, take a bath willya?" I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they couldn't disseminate between "Knitted" and "Nittany?" Either way, Michigan won with a TD with one second left in the game, and my heart still hasn't started back up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ye of little faith--when has a lion ever stuck its face in a Wolverine's den and prevailed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - Almost every time I really needed the maize and blue to win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn you, Wyatt! You realize that my life is now miserable because my wife bleeds PSU blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob - Sorry, but your loss is my gain!!! It's one of the few bright spots in the Wolverines' season.

    ReplyDelete