About

Friday, November 04, 2005

The Great Depression

My mother is a fish.

I have crossed the great divide from anger to all-out depression. Hell, I'm now quoting William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying," the most depressing novel in all of literature. To be honest and frank with you, I can't get past yesterday's verbal shoot-out with my sergeant. Against my best friend's advice, I showed up to work - primarily because I have this overwhelming urge to do the right thing. Calling out sick because I'm pissed is wrong.

I did see Partner #1 as she was about to go home - she doesn't work the overnight shift anymore; working with me sent her away screaming - and for the first time in years, even she couldn't cheer me up. What really scared me is that she told me she has never seen me like this. Swell. I must be approaching Kurt Cobaterritoryroy.

At this point, I just want to get promoted and get the hell out of this damned district. Until then, I don't think I'll ever be right.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you so down. It really pisses me off when I hear of a cop who likes his job and he just gets caught in a web of BS. I know there will always be BS but it doesn't need to come in the way you're describing. That's just wrong. Hope things get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me worried! I know you probably as well as your wife does and I have never seen you like this in the several years that we've worked together. It pisses me off because I know how hard you work for the supervisors in your squad. Your the one officer that they call on when the need someone in a pinch and you never complain to them or cause any problems. I think the way they are treating you because of your new partner sucks. Just try and stick it out until the promotions. If you need to talk you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think As I Lay Dying is depressing? I laughed my ass off through the whole book, like when Cal (?) breaks his leg and sets it with concrete. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SK - Thanks. It can't get much worse at this point.

    Partner - Like I told you last night: I do nothing for them anymore. I'm just riding this out until promotions. Stop worrying about me - you've got enough worrying on your own. I'm not gonna eat my gun or anything like that, I'm just a tad depressed.

    Prof - Depressing in a backwoods, white trash kinda way.

    ReplyDelete