About

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bombs Away!

Editor's note: I'm sick as a dog today. It was inevitable sitting in a classroom with 74 other promotees for seven hours. Depending on how I feel, this may be my only post today. Sorry!

On Tuesday, the Inspector of Detectives - the big boss - addressed our class about the various paperwork necessary for our position. Afterwards, he dropped the first of three bombshells:

1. Three of the six detective divisions are filled to capacity. Thus, we will only be assigned to either South, Southwest, or Northwest Detective Divisions. None of these are close to home, and all are pretty much war zones. Don't get me wrong; busy divisions mean oodles of overtime, but minimum travel time would be swell, too. Oh well, if that's the worst thing that happens with this promotion, I can't complain.

Of course, that is not the worst thing that can happen.

2. The second bombshell involved our mandatory physicals, which are tenatively scheduled for the next two Saturdays! There's nothing like spending your day off getting poked and prodded by a city doctor not fit to check my rabbit. Oh, and here's the best part: NO overtime has been approved for these days! If I am down there for ten hours, I don't get one red cent.

3. The final bombshell must have been an error. We were told that our promotion ceremony will occur on December 19th at Temple University - good thing we'll have our guns! The ceremony begins at 10am, and (unless I misheard) after the festivities, we are scheduled to report back to training for the rest of the day. So much for spending time with our families. I asked some of my classmates about this today, and they think I misheard. I hope they're right.

12 comments:

  1. I heard that you had an excellent 2-hour PIIN training session from Sgt. McQ.



    McQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...you'll be busy. Ya know. A long (yet annoying, I know) drive home can give one the time to get rid of the daily "ick." At least if you are graduating at Temple, there are plenty of fine medical centers in the area to treat your wounds. OH....looks like Mumia needs to be shut up again. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McQ - I wanted to introduce myself, but there was such a line of admirers . . . . I was in the second row next to the wall on YOUR right. And, yes, it was very entertaining - especially since I already had the training!

    RT - Ah, I'm just venting. I am pretty psyched about the promotion, and honestly, I don't care where I go. I saw the Mumia appeal in the Inky today and needed the duct tape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many times are promotions done a year? And how do they decide where to hold the ceremony?

    Just out of curiousity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Tis the season! Take care and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you only had a 24-hour virus and are feeling much better.

    Glad to hear your promotion finally came through. I wish you much success!!


    On a side note: I'm sick today...sick of the snow that is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feelin' better soon Wyatt. Mucho *hugs*!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh, the detective's secret weapon... flu germs! Just hack a few loogies onto bad guys and they're toast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just what you need a massive snow/sleet/ice storm flu. What luck you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AFW - The short answer is "not enough." This is the first time they have promoted detectives in almost two years. The city usually holds them at Temple University, as they will on the 19th.

    Lin - It's like being in school again. My friend Kenny gave it to me. I will have my vengeance!

    SK - Thanx. I should be okay after a weekend off :)

    Maria - Again, the forecasters blew it. The 3-6 inches turned out to be mostly slush, but rush hour on I-95 was a nightmare.

    Uber - Thanks, dear!

    Peak - I would have taken off Thursday and today if I was working a district, but I couldn't miss training, so I suffered throuugh it.

    Web - Yeah, I know. My pre-promotional interview is Monday. I had BETTER be okay by then!

    CUG - I'm trying, chief. God bless Nyquil.

    ReplyDelete