About

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Live By The Shootout . . .

Die by the shootout.

Crap. We faced off against the last-place Chilly McPhilly's tonight, whose only win this season was against us. Every time we play these goons, it turns out to be a cheap-shot, penalty-filled debacle. Tonight was no exception. One of their forwards buried our defenseman into the boards, knocking him out of the game, then punched me in the chest behind the play, and ended his fabulous first period by slashing my linemate in the back of the shins.

I got his license plate number, and I'll have someone from work stop him and pull a Rodney King. (By the way, I am obviously kidding. I am still waiting to be officially promoted.) Of course, our team didn't help matters. We stunk on ice, and trailed most of the game. In the third period, one of our guys gave us the following (unedited) pep talk:

"Hey, dicks! How about playing like people who don't sit when they pee!"

If that doesn't get you motivated, I'm not sure what will. Strangely enough, the humiliation approach worked, and we tied the game, forcing a shootout - our second in as many games. That's where the story takes a most disturbing turn. Our goaltender, Rock, who was so brilliant last game, couldn't save coupons this one. McPhilly's scored right off the bat, while we missed on our first three attempts. Our fourth attempt scored, and we would be in good shape - as long as the final McPhilly's skater missed.

He didn't, and we lost to these toads for the second time this year. Now, I am exhausted, beaten up, and demoralized. I am in the perfect frame of mind for my Promotional Interview tomorrow. Crap.

8 comments:

  1. Chill out.
    Get some sleep.
    Knock 'em dead tomorrow.
    I have faith in you, and you are in my prayers as well.

    Also, I am FIRST!, but that is another matter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just visualize your interviewer as the cheapshot forward jackass and let the adrenaline flow...

    should get you through a few hours at least... or just jack yourself up on no-doze... that'll get the legs bouncin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Channeling good thoughts your way......aww crap I keep thinking about about donuts for some reason:) Hope all goes great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Folks - It was anti-climactic. I'll post about it later . . . after I process this Fmragtops thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anti-climatic? "So Earp, do you want to be a detective?" "Yep." "Ok." Hope that's how it went. You deserve the promotion and one kick ya in the shins thing is not what you need. Although, the cheap shot artist thought so. And as for your pep talk deek, tell him the people who pee sitting down could show him a thing or two about hip checking and elbowing! Have a good evening, and I hope all turns out ok for your blogger friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RT - Yeah, that was about the gist of it. The hockey thing was a little more complicated, but it's still a long season, and we'll see that team again.

    I don't know about Fmragtops - he's worrying me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, fmragtops stops talking about his children after a while in his blog; they should be his reason to live and go on with life. What I read was scary, because if he doesn't harm himself as he says, who will he harm...he is definitely in a very dark place and crying for help. I've had suicide in my family. I am afraid for him and his children. Is there any way to get him help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. RT - If he was closer, I'd do it myself, but he lives in LA, and I haven't talked to him, save for some e-mails. Besides, I don't know if he'd listen to me. I commented on his site and pleaded with him to stay, but his mind is made up. I just don't want him doing anything untoward.

    ReplyDelete