About

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Homicide: Life On The Street

If you printed out yesterday's blog, keep it; it will be a collector's item. For the first time since SYLG was created, I did not post yesterday. The streak is over. The king is dead. In my defense, work has been mondo-busy this week, and last night was the icing on the cake. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you . . . my first substantial detective story.

Yesterday was my last night before two glorious days off, and I was looking forward to the break. My "system" is finally clicking, and most of my cases have been either solved or filed away until I get a break. All of my pending paperwork was caught up, and I was living large. Then the call came in.

Police radio told our desk man that one of the districts had a shooting, and the victim was in a bad way. Fire department medics were working on him at the scene, but they weren't optimistic. The desk man tells me that I have the case. "Cool," I say to myself, "My first shooting." As I'm getting ready to go out to the scene, radio calls again: my job is now a homicide. Now I'm thinking, "Crap. Homicide Division is getting this one."

In a homicide, the divisional detectives go to the scene, and pretty much keep things under control until the guys with the expensive suits and the fedoras come out. My sergeant, two other detectives and I grab some cars and go to the crime scene.

The scene was straight out of a Law & Order episode. (Don't ask me which one, since there are about 200 L&O series now.) The street was almost completely dark, and lined with vacant warehouses on each side. Ironically, a church was at the end of the block on the other side of the intersection. The closest homes were over a block away. In short, it was the perfect place for a murder. (I'll have to remember that the next time Linda gives me grief. Just kidding, Lin!)

The uniforms greet us and take us to the body. It looked like he was shot numerous times in the torso, and there were shell casings everywhere. Somebody was pretty pissed off. We decide to canvas the neighborhood for witnesses. A futile effort at best, but we had to try. Our suspicions were confirmed when, after questioning residents of about 20 homes, "nobody saw nuthin'." Swell. When we returned to the scene, Homicide showed up and dismissed us. All in a day's work.

As we're driving back to HQ, my cell phone rings. It's the desk man. He says, "Are you almost back, because we have a robbery waiting for you up here." When it rains it pours. I didn't get out of work until 0130!

I can't imagine how busy we'll be in the summer.

9 comments:

  1. Don't hate me 'cause I'm FFFFirst, SSSStevie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, cowboy--I SAW THAT! Thinking about murder, I see.....nice! I'll just pretend you didn't say that! Don't know if my feelings will recover tho'! And I was about to say be careful and other mushy..er.thoughtful things! Now I'm stifled! I need a Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - "And the Oscar for Best Actress goes to . . . "

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...now every time I see a crime on the news I think, "Is one of those suits Wyatt?"

    Philly's been busy the past week. What seven murders or so since Sunday?

    Is this gun court thing a waste of money or does it actually accomplish something? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RT - Fox news was there, but I always move away from the cameras. I'm a detective, not a celebrity. My case was homicide #11. And the year was only a week old. The gun violence thing is a decent idea, but flawed. They can only respond, not predict when there will be a shooting. And since the courts don't give good time for gun offenders, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, only if you don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful!!

    11 homicides already?!! It's onlyl the 9th for goodness sake!!

    Come summer you are going to be busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These stats are not encouraging me to ever visit Philly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad the Eagles weren't any good, then these thugs would have something to distract them at least until the end of the playoff season...

    I hope the Phillys or Flyers don't suck this bad! I could only imagine how the 'battery chuckers' would react!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peakah, Peakah, Peakah...1. The thugs are too dumb to know how to work a tv, or they would see that the cops do get the bad guys, 2. Now that Ed Wade is gone, perhaps the Phillies will have a winning season...playoffs??? I'm not Dionne Warwick...3. FLYERS fans are too classy to throw batteries...we've got the marbles (or lack thereof) to fall into the "sin-bin" with Ty Domi. The battery idiots are drunken fools that make up about 1 percent of Philadelphia sports fans...the rest of us are just sports-lovers since there is nothing else to do. :) Sorry to jack your board Wyatt....I'm tired of the Philly Fans comments. Now I have to go to the store and buy "D" sized Duracells. Bye.

    ReplyDelete