About

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Land Of The Lost

Well, that didn’t take long.

It’s been a mere three weeks in the new place, and I’ve already had my first major scare. On Friday, a missing juvenile report comes across my desk. Usually, the kiddies return home after a few hours, safe and sound. I make a few phone calls, and bada-bing, bada-boom, everyone’s happy. On Friday night, the juvenile’s mother called the division begging to speak with me. She wanted to know the status of the case: now a mere hour old. I understood her concern – if it was my child, I would be going out of my mind – but give me some time to check everything out! I told her that if I heard anything, I would call her immediately.

On Saturday, night, mom called again . . . three times. She was borderline hysterical, and wanted something done. I explained that I was doing everything possible to find her daughter, and double-checked that the NCIC-PCIC message was sent. A short time later she called again, and asked if she could post fliers in the neighborhood. I told her of course that would be acceptable.

Sunday was my day off, and as I was preparing to welcome the family for Kyle’s birthday dinner, I get the call. It was the division, and they wanted my file. I asked my co-worker, “What’s the problem?” He said, “That missing juvie still hasn’t come home, and we think something bad happened to her.”

Oh, crap.

I spent the rest of my days off worried sick; partly for the girl’s well being, and partly for my career. If she turned up dead, I was sure someone would accuse me of not doing enough to save her. Sleep didn’t come easy. This morning, I cautiously walked into the squad room, and made a beeline to the lieutenant’s office. I asked him, “Am I fired yet?” He looked at me quizzically, and said, “Oh, you mean that missing person job?” I said, “Uh-huh,” and he smiled, saying, “They found her at her godmother’s house. She spent the weekend having sex with her boyfriend.”

Now, where did I put that duct tape?

9 comments:

  1. Godmother to sex-fiend: Did you call your mom and let her know you're here? Fiend: Yea.

    Or better yet...the godmother was away or up to her own follies.

    This sounds like repetitive behavior, too. If that was my daughter I'd kick her arse!

    Sorry you had to fret over what should have been a really fun day. Sounds like the fretting I do over my students only to find out they trash every class and care nada about their grades.

    So did the officers have the opportunity to put a scare into her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When she was interviewed at the division after we found her, we asked her if she wanted anything (like a drink or something to eat). She replied, "I want a pregnancy test and an AIDS test." God's honest truth. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Now that is what I call an eventful week at work. I admire you for caring and doing your job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you really be fired if she hadn't been found? Now that's brutal! Do you have some Tums in your pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is un-freaking believable!! You ought to throw her butt in jail for a day, for the grief and tying up the department!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un-believable! I'm so sorry you had to endure the wondering and fear that any decent person would feel in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I want a pregnancy test and an AIDS test." Unbelievable!! Her mother must be so proud.

    What I don't understand...her mother rang YOUR phone off the hook, but didn't call everyone she knows. That just doesn't make sense to me.

    Wyatt, I hope you learned something from this. No matter what...leave the job there. It's not worth your health stressing about something that you can't do anything about. As long as you know that you're doing everything you can on the job...just leave it at that. That's all that matters. Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMC - Yeah, I care. Just don't tell anyone.

    Lin - Probably not fired, but grilled about what I did and did not do to find the little hussy.

    Sssteve - So she can cry abuse? No thanks.

    Anti-Hippie - TMI!!!

    Ty - I wish. I was very close to a Jack Bauer moment.

    SK - I kept hoping she wouldn't turn up dead. Ruined my weekend.

    Maria - It's safe to say that the family's priorities were a tad askew.

    ReplyDelete