About

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"DOPes"

So, how did you spend your Super Bowl Sunday? I spent it in plainclothes patrolling the city’s “Gun Violence Hot Zones,” as part of the Police Commissioner’s “Detectives on Patrol” (or DOPes). And we certainly felt like dopes driving an unmarked car through a district we barely knew.

I didn’t mind the change of pace – although I specifically got promoted to get out of patrol – but a few questions about this program jumped into my mind. To wit:
  • How effective can two detectives be patrolling an area they never worked before? My partner was driving, while I was relegated to Dora the Explorer status, constantly checking “The Map.”
  • Who will think that two white guys driving a Ford Taurus through the ‘hood are not cops? I keep thinking about the scene in “Running Scared” where two utes spray-paint “Unmarked Police Car” across Billy Crystal’s ride.
  • Did anyone spit in my food?

There were a few high points that evening. For instance, we got to listen to most of the Super Bowl – a luxury we wouldn’t have if we were in the division. I’m pretty sure the pizza parlor chef didn’t spit in our slices. And we did manage to find our way to a decent job – an aggravated assault where the officers recovered two shotguns. Another five minutes, and we would have had a homicide on our hands.

So, after all of my bitching, I guess the program worked after all.

(FYI – The next post will be #500 for SYLG, and I’m seeking suggestions for a topic. Let me know in the comments section, and I’ll choose the best idea for Wednesday’s momentous occasion.)

13 comments:

  1. I knew there was a reason I felt safe!

    Suggestions: Why can't I sleep longer than a few hours at a time? No.
    Why can't I get a tire that doesn't go flat in 30 mins? (I'm on my second one!) No.

    The meaning of life? No.


    How about, why I like blogging and how much I appreciate my readers? Maybe.

    Your personal heroes? Real people!

    Vblog is suppose to be the new thing--are you going to do that?

    500--did you count them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who will think that two white guys driving a Ford Taurus through the ‘hood are not cops?"

    You are the perfect undercover. I don't think you were ever mistaken for a cop... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. 500? Yay! I think you should highlight your most popular posts...

    I spent Sunday sick and sleeping...which somehow doesn't seem so bad now. lol

    Excellent observations, btw. You'd think those further up the totem pole (who I assume get paid more) would think of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like lin. needs her own blog!! Come on Linda do it!!

    Thats good 10 reasons why Linda needs a blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lin - The Blogger home page (or "Dashboard) keeps track of how many times you have posted. This one is #499.

    Wagonsux - We may have been mistaken for tourists, since we were lost most of the night. Here's a tip for driving around the 14th - all roads lead to Germantown Ave and/or Chelten Ave.

    Uber - I would, but I haven't the foggiest idea what my more popular posts were! Suggestions?

    Sssteve - Really. She needs an outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a suggestion, but stop by. Rick Tocchet's in some pretty deep stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is your carry pistol? Do a story on your shooting habits and a range report and submit it to the carnival of cordite. Although that may end up post number 510 or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, hey, hey! Why am I starting to feel like persona non grata??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should tell us about the time you were on "cops".

    As a police officer though not the other time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "As a police officer though not the other time." -DPT

    Heh, I want to hear about the other time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing I thought as I started reading your post..."two white cops..." I got lost in the Temple University area once...ONCE. Since I was the passenger I had the luxury of getting on the floor of the Bronco. Got lost in Patterson once, too...eek. Were you wearing the I'm an undercover guy garb, too? Flannel shirt, too tight jeans (when dirtbags wear baggy), really clean, unstained t-shirt...too much bling? :)

    I agree with Uber. You should do a "best of." How about your favorite replies? That might be a lot of reading, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After much thought, maybe your 500th should be "Hockey Stars Gone Bad."

    Talk about having a bad week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell I don't know...make stuff up. lol

    ReplyDelete