About

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Five Years

Today is the fifth anniversary of the worst day in NASCAR history. I remember watching the race, seeing the crash, and thinking Dale Earnhardt would be okay. Later, I took a nap before going to work, and when the wife woke me up, she simply said, "He died." It was the most awful sports moment I ever experienced.

Thankfully, one of the best sports moments I ever experienced included Dale's son, Dale, Jr. I was at the Pepsi 400 in Daytona - the first race there after Dale's death - and witnessed Dale, Jr. win the race. There wasn't a dry eye in the speedway.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a racing guy, but even I remember DAle Earnhardt.
    The guy was an icon.

    I remember when Jr. won too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUG - Dale Jr's win was the best race I have ever seen . . . even after Gordon blew an engine early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That day SUCKED.

    And Wyatt, any race that Gordon goes out early is a good race. (c:

    ReplyDelete