About

Friday, April 14, 2006

People I Like

I couldn’t possibly write a PIH on Good Friday. That’s a sure express ticket to hell. Therefore, I present this week’s edition of People I Like. Bon a petit!

Bill Bennett

The former Secretary of Education under President Reagan and syndicated radio talk show host is my morning alternative to that idiot Michael Smerconish. Unlike most talk radio personalities, Bennett is always respectful and courteous to every caller, whether they agree with his views or not. You wouldn’t think that an egghead (and I use that term respectfully) would also be highly entertaining, but Bennett pulls it off. Morning in America is now one of my favorite programs.

Gary Sinise

Holy crap, I like somebody in Hollywood! Imagine that. Sinise unabashedly supports our troops. He has been to Iraq many times, and has supported the men and women of our military at every opportunity. It also helps that he is a terrific actor, who I thought was terrific in Snake Eyes, The Stand, and Forrest Gump. Actually, he was the only good thing about Forrest Gump. “Stupid is as stupid does” my arse.

Phil Mickelson

For left-handed golfers like me, Mickelson had been a source of inspiration on the PGA Tour. Unfortunately, he had always been known as the best golfer never to win a major. Phil shook that monkey off his back recently, and now is one of the hottest players on the circuit. During last weekend’s Masters Tournament, Mickelson dominated Sunday’s final round and cemented his place in history. Way to go, Lefty!

9 comments:

  1. You've got to like Bruce Willis, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a guy out here in Phx that was a golf pro and has met Phil on more than one occasion. He said Phil is not at all snobby or expects people to treat him like a rock star. Just a nice, personable guy.

    For as many times that you hear a person's off-camera persona is reminiscent of Genghis Kahn, it's nice to hear once in a while that someone is actually cool in real life. Makes it even easier to root for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, All us leftys are like that!! Right Wyatt! Love all these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In interviews I've seen with Gary Sinise, he seems so humble about all the work he does (selflessly) with the troops and for the Iraqi children. Yes...he was the best part of Forest Gump.

    Good post, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh. I'm a lefty. But there was nothing nice or personable about me when I finally got out of the elevator to find someone standing there for no other reason than to laugh at my misfortune. Ever put a cat in a bathtub full of water and then let go? I was a little more like that. And I will probably be even less forgiving. But then, I'm a redhead, so I think that trumps the southpaw-ness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. prof - exactly.. yippie-kay-aye-mo/fo's...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Bill Bennett & Gary Sinise too!!! I wish we got Bennett's program here in KC.

    Sinise is the co-founder of Operation Iraqi Child where they make the school kits for the soldiers to hand out to the kids. Their warehouse is actually here in KC and my kids' group is going to volunteer there. I hated Forrest Gump but I won't hold that against him :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to like Phil Mickelson, but then he got fat.

    ReplyDelete