About

Monday, April 10, 2006

This Is What Hell Must Be Like

"No beer and no TV make Homer . . . something something." - Homer Simpson

My home is approximately fifty years old. As a result, the normal wear and tear of acid rain - Al Gore warned us! - has done a number on my brick chimney. I noticed recently that some of the bricks near the top have been crumbling and falling to earth, so we called a chimney repair company. They came for an estimate and said that they could start today. Unfortunately, my DirecTv satellite dish is attached to the chimney, and it would have to come down for the work to be done. No worries, they said, it would only be for a day or so.

My neighbor/resident handyman John came over with his 30-foot ladder and trudged up with his bag o' tools. He's a fireman, so heights are no big whoop for him. Me? Not so much. I climbed the ladder to hold the dish while he did most of the work. He tied the dish and the HD antenna securely to the roof, so the chimney guys could work unobstructed. I was without TV - and had to watch the NASCAR race on a 13" set - but it wouldn't last long.

Or so I thought. Today, the chimney guys called and said that because of the recent rain, their schedule got pushed back. They now cannot come out until Tuesday or Wednesday! I started screaming at the thought of no TV for almost four days. What will I do? What's worse is that although my TiVo still works for viewing saved programs, it will not tape any current ones. If the DirecTv is out until Wednesday, TiVo won't tape The Gospel of Judas (I was dying to see that one), Prison Break, and Thief.

Oh yeah, and it also won't tape 24, and I am scheduled to Liveblog the episode on Blogs4Bauer. That should make the event more interesting while I try and adjust the rabbit ears and squint to see what's happening. Damnit.

8 comments:

  1. you have been blessed. step away from the matrix.


    completely TV free now for almost 4 years, and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's one horseman. . .three to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case you need any help with tonight's episode of 24, here is a timeline for the show:
    9:01 - review of last week's show
    9:14 - Random act of drama
    9:45 - Jack prepares to shoot someone
    9:50 - Shooting begins, people die
    9:59 - cue the tck..tck..tck previews of next week's episode.

    There will also be an Apple, Ford, and Verizon Wireless commercial or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's bad!! I know I've gotten way too attached to things, I would be having a meltdown!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the steam I saw creeping over from Philly was the chemical plant (whatever it is that smells to high heaven over by bridge st./Besty Ross). However, it was you and the steam seeping out of your ears. Tough break. Gee, maybe the little ones might enjoy a walk with Daddy. :) The weather is nice. Maybe you can join the walking club over by the LOVE statue. Ha Ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor baby! Maybe Mrs. Earp would be willing to sit on the roof, holding the dish! hehe

    Don't you know nothing like this ever goes smoothly?! It's a plot!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rev - Good for you! And that photo is disturbing :)

    Deathlok - Mmm . . . Apocalypse.

    TM - Thanks. I'll just cut and paste this for B4B tonight.

    LMC - My day has been pretty good. Spent the time with the kids, but Liveblogging at B4B tonight is gonna suck.

    RT - Yeah. I'll bring lots of cuffs.

    Lin - She's on the roof as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA-HA (a la Nelson). I'll be watching 24 on my 52" in hi-Def, bee-hotch.

    ReplyDelete