About

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Greatest Soccer Game Of All Time

A jubilant Oliver Neuville scores the game-winner.

Earlier today, Germany faced Poland (without the tanks this time) in the World Cup. The match was slated to be a good one, since both teams are extremely talented, and both teams dislike each other. Since I was off - and far, far away from court - I figured I'd take it in.

I'm glad I did. It was the best soccer match I have ever seen.

Both teams had plenty of scoring chances, but in the end were shut down by the respective goaltenders. Poland's keeper, Artur Boruc, was especially spectacular. By the end of regulation came around, the game was still scoreless, with about two minutes of extra time to play.

And then it happened. In the 91st minute, Germany's Oliver Neuville took a perfect centering pass and smashed it past Boruc. The capacity home crowd went ballistic as their countrymen remained undefeated. In my basement - watching on HDTV - I found myself screaming "YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!" It was friggin' phenomenal.

6 comments:

  1. Watch your head on the low ceiling. :)

    I'm rooting for Italy. Italia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "yeah yeah yeah" in your basement? Sure you were watching soccer! wink wink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ssssteve the funnyman strikes again! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about the greatest of all time riff, but it was a dandy. If the idiot from Poland didn't take a second yellow, leaving his team a man down for the last 18 minutes, they might still be playing without a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The greatest soccer game of all time? Isn't that similar to being the head fry cook at a fast food restaurant? (j/k)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a sad day at the Phat Tony house.

    ReplyDelete