About

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Amazing Race

I just found out that I am a racist. After posting about soon-to-be-former Philadelphia Police Recruit Howard Neil, Jr., someone posted a comment that I am a racist, even though I simply posted excerpts from the Philadelphia Daily News article. The article, as well as my post, never mentioned the race of Mr. Neil or the reporter, and I never mentioned mine. The commenter then wrote, “A racist cop. What a shock.”

Wow. How could I have been deluded for so long? How could I not know that I am a racist? I mean, who knows me better than me? I don’t know how this slipped under my radar, but since this anonymous commenter sees it after reading just one post, it must be fairly obvious.

What do I do now? Should I feel any different? Do I have to find some white sheets?

Actually, in retrospect, all of the signs were there. I am a white male, which means that I must be a racist. I am a police detective, and we all know that every cop is a racist and a bigot. I am a NASCAR fan, and everyone knows that NASCAR fans are rednecks, as well as racists and bigots. Hell, I am so close-minded that I don’t even have any African-American children! Oh my God, I AM a racist!!!

Please, can someone out there help me? I work in a primarily African-American neighborhood with African-American detectives. What if they find out? How do I “snow” my co-workers and the community? Wait a minute, snow is white. I just made a racist statement! Should I just apologize to everyone up front? Do I need to pay reparations for my transgressions? I am so very sorry!

If you folks do not want to visit SYLG anymore, I’ll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment