About

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Just The Carfax, Ma'am

Junior, pitting before his controversial victory.

Wow, this is really gonna sound hypocritical, but I love Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Junior won today's Carfax 250 at Michigan International Speedway by spinning Carl Edwards out of the way with two laps to go. Normally, spinning another driver to get to Victory Lane is shunned here at SYLG, but since Dale, Jr. has been on his best behavior as of late, it was nice to see some of his father in him.

Junior had been battling Edwards and Robby Gordon - whom I despise - during the final laps. After a caution, the three lined up for the restart, and in the middle of the turn it appeared that Edwards got loose. (That's the announcers talking, not me.) Junior got into the back of Edwards' car, spinning him out of contention. The caution came out, and Earnhardt took the checkered flag.

When Earnhardt got out of his car, he was greeting with deafening boos from the Michigan crowd. It didn't seem to bother him, and I was reminded of a classic Dale Earnhardt, Sr. moment: "I'd rather they boo than not make any noise at all."

For those of you with long memories, I usually rip Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick for such "redneck" moves. I have no other explanation for not ripping Junior, other than I like the guy. I guess I'm a hypocrite. Sorry.

Oh, by the way, Tiger Woods is currently kicking arse and taking names at the PGA Championship. NICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment