About

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Just Call Me Mayor Frank Quizo

The last time I went with my friends to play Quizo, we took a miserable sixth place. On Wednesday night, I sought my retribution. Badger, Vinnie, Sean, Sammy, English Steve (he was in from London) and I met at Manny Brown’s for the festivities. I told Sean that I spent the day studying useless information, but since I am already full of it – useless information, that is – we were ready to go.

The first round flew by and we dominated. The group was sure we had at least eight correct, so we took our one double down. The quiz master read off the scores, and we had a total of eight correct. One of the questions involved the actress who played Oda Mae in Ghost. Unfortunately, the jackass who wrote down the answers (read: me) misheard Sammy when he said “Ghost,” and mistakenly wrote “Dunst.” In all fairness, I had Kirsten Dunst on the brain. I usually do.

The rest of the evening was filled with insults from my “friends.” Every question followed a retort similar to, “It’s not DUNST!” At one point, Badger told the group that I needed to wear a “Dunst Cap.” Despite all of these shenanigans, we managed to take an 8-point lead into the final round, and eventually won the first place fifty dollar gift certificate. A money round followed (at five dollars a team), and we won that one, too – for a whopping fifteen dollars.

And now, a few highlights:

There were a few literature questions that I couldn’t answer, and Badger’s super hot librarian girlfriend was a no-show. Thanks, Jen!

Vinnie knew what war was the setting for The Red Badge of Courage (Civil War), but not the later question: Who was the author? (Stephen Crane.)

Sammy proved once again that he is the Kiss of Death when he couldn’t answer these questions: “What present-day country occupies the former Asia Minor (Turkey)?” and “Which country was formerly known as the “United Arab Republic” (Egypt). Sammy is originally from India. Way to know your surroundings, Sammy!

Sean had the line of the night when he said I was horrible at Golden Tee because my “fingers are too fat” to work the track ball. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment