About

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Massacre At "Wounded Knee"

Today is my follow-up with the orthopedic surgeon. It's been three weeks, and while I would love to say that I'm feelin' fine, I'd be lying. And I usually only lie after 3pm.

The fact of the matter is that my knee still hurts . . . a lot. I am able to take the steps with a minute amount of pain - thanks to the cortisone shot - but anything else even remotely stressful makes me wince. Hell, I can almost feel myself getting fatter! I am dutifully taking the painkillers, but they aren't doing squat. Frankly, I'm a little scared. The knee is not getting any better. It's not really getting worse, but it's not getting better.

Of course, being a stubborn ass, I haven't exactly been following the doctor's orders to the letter. I kind of mowed the lawn, including our steep hill in front of the house. And I may have removed the knee brace when it was getting uncomfortable. Oh, and there was that whole marathon thing. I'm kidding.

Long story short: if the doctor has bad news, much of it will be my fault. I am hoping for good news, which for me, means he will have a cure up his sleeve. I'd like another cortisone shot if that will help, and I will demand that I go for physical therapy. We'll see what happens. My appointment is at 3:45 pm. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: Well, I'm back. And that rosy, best-scenario of me getting back on the ice in a few weeks? Not so much.

Apparently, I still have swelling and fluid in the knee, which explains why it is still pretty painful. The ortho doc said that it may take as long as 6-10 weeks for the knee to be fully healed. If I follow his instructions to the letter: ice the knee, wear the brace, and don't do, well, anything. Thus, I am officially out for the Winter Ice Hockey League. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment