About

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cut To The Chase

I consider myself a movie buff. As such, I try and view all kinds of movies, from action shoot-em-ups to chick flicks starring Marisa Tomei. Ugh. Any hoo, I haven't blogged about my favorite films for a while, and after watching a certain Steve McQueen classic last week, an idea popped up in my puny little mind. Fasten your seat belts, my friends. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Wyatt's Top Five Film Chases Of All Time

5. Mad Max.

The movie that made Mel Gibson famous is bookended by terrific chase scenes. So terrific, in fact, that it is difficult to choose which one is more entertaining. The opening scene has Max's Main Force Patrol pursuing "The Night Rider" through the highways of Australia, leaving a path of death and destruction in their wake. Very cool. However, the film's final chase scene has an enraged Max running down the motorcycle gang that murdered his family. Either way, ya can't go wrong.

4. Escape from New York.

Regular readers of SYLG know that EFNY is one of my all-time favorite movies. Kurt Russell, Adrienne Barbeau, and Isaac Frakkin' Hayes! Although the film is an action lovers tour de force, the final chase across the 59th Street bridge is a classic. Our heroes - riding inside Ernest Borgnine's cab - are being tracked down by Chef, er, Isaac Hayes. Unfortunately for all of them, the bridge is mined. Good stuff!


3. The Matrix Reloaded.

I'll agree that the second two films of this trilogy were disappointing, but Reloaded's highway chase is epic. Flying bullets, flipping cars, and fanatical enemies rule the road in this pursuit. The agents and "The Twins" let loose with more firepower than New Year's Eve in Philly, while Trinity swerves in and out of oncoming traffic in a souped-up Ducati motorcycle. I don't care where you're from, that's entertainin' right there.

2. Bullitt.

Unbelievably, I watched this classic for the first time last week on AMC. God Bless AMC. The Steve McQueen vehicle - pun intended - includes arguably the greatest car chase in film history. Good versus Evil. Mustang versus Charger. Charger versus Fuel Depot. Heh. You know this is a terrific chase when my six-year old son asked me to rewind it on the TiVo. If the next film is #1, this is #1-A.

1. The Road Warrior.

I challenge you to find me a better chase scene than any of the three - yes, three - epic car chases that encompass this wonder from down under. Can't do it, can you. Why? Because The Road Warrior is the champagne of chase films. Running gun/crossbow/Molotov cocktail battles, head-on collisions, and nitrous are the norm here. Bonus points for the Gyro Captain's attack by dropped snake. This kids, is as good as it gets.

Well, that should get y'all talking and debating. Did I miss any? Did I rate them incorrectly? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment