About

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Falcons Lax: The Greatest Show On Dirt

What? You weren't buying that quitting nonsense, were you?

From game to game, my lacrosse team is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get . . . and it'll melt in the noontime sun.

Okay, I have no idea what that means, but it makes about as much sense as my kids play of late. Northeast Catholic High School's lacrosse team is young. Very young. Like just out of pacifiers young. We have only a handful of seniors, a decent amount of juniors, and a few sophomores starting on the varsity squad. Honestly, I and my fellow coaches thought it would be a "rebuilding year." That's coach-speak for "We suck."

And yet, strangely, our boys have gone out there, day in and day out, and surprised the hell out of us. They won their first game against Cardinal Dougherty - my friend Bill's alma mater - by a score of 12-4. We followed that up by getting destroyed by LaSalle, 16-1. Then, amazingly, we beat Valley Forge Military Academy 14-6, and beat Neumann-Goretti by a score of 8-2.

This morning we're looking at a 3-1 record. Damn.

I don't know what the rest of the (long) season will bring, but right now, we're are looking much better than anyone hoped. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment