About

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Senator Specter's Cancer Returns

And this time, it's personal!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Arlen Specter's Hodgkin's disease, which he battled in 2005, has recurred, but doctors said that its return was detected early and that Specter has an "excellent chance" of once again achieving remission, according to a statement issued Tuesday by the senator's office.

Specter, 78, will continue to perform his Senate duties and conduct his campaign for re-election to a sixth term but will undergo 12 weeks of chemotherapy, the written statement said. Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system.

The recurrence was found during a routine scan, which flagged small lymph nodes in Specter's chest and abdomen, the statement said. A follow-up biopsy of one of the chest lymph nodes was positive for recurrence, but a bone marrow biopsy was negative.

"I was surprised by the PET scan findings because I have been feeling so good," Specter said in the statement. "I consider this just another bump in the road to a successful recovery from Hodgkin's, from which I've been symptom-free for three years." (H/T - CNN)

Regular readers of SYLG know that I despise Arlen Specter. He is an arrogant elitist that will abandon his party and/or his principles at the drop of a hat. At 78, the idea of him running for re-election is laughable. That being said, I would not wish cancer on my worst enemy. (Okay, I'd wish it on John Street, but that's all.) It is a despicable disease that ravages the body.

It is my sincere hope that this renewed cancer goes into remission quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment