About

Monday, April 07, 2008

Sponsor A Hero

Chuck over at From My Position . . . On The Way! is a blogger, an Iraq War vet, and a true American hero. During the first weekend in May, he will also be participating in the 2008 Face of America Bike Ride "to honor and assist our disabled veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan." Read on:

Immediately following the ball, I will change out of my dress blues, load up my shiny new bike (donated by World Team Sports, and built by Steve at Bike-on.com) and drive to Bethesda, MD. The next Morning, I will get up early, and along with 500 new friends, will ride said bike to Gettysburg, PA--a ride that should take two days and will cover 110 miles.

Don't worry, I'll be bringing extra pain meds.

The ride is a welcome home for the wounded. Many of the participants are fellow former and current patients. Everything they need is taken care of--from the helmets and bikes to the food and lodging. All donated by people like you.

I want to ride, but I also want to raise $$$$ to help them help others. Currently, they've raised just over $47,o00. That will only buy 25 hand-bikes (for amputees). Not everyone riding needs a special, purpose-built bike, but many do. Even me. between back injury and scar/muscle adhesion, there was no way I would be able to do this on my bike, or on any normal bike. They are giving me a recumbent bike--you basically sit reclining and pedal--for the event, and then I get to bring it home with me. The bike they gave me wasn't cheap, but price was never discussed--just needs met.

You can sponsor Chuck HERE. Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment