About

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Breaking OUT Is Hard To Do

. . . Unless, of course, your name is Michael Scofield. Last night’s season finale of Prison Break was excellent, and included a multitude of surprises. Scofield’s crew did indeed break out of Fox River Penitentiary, and the episode revolved around the ensuing manhunt. All year, I have been saying that Prison Break is a program on par with 24, and is has been a terrific lead-in to the Fox powerhouse. (And, of course, I have to thank my friend, Bill, for convincing me the show was worth my time.) Last night's episode proved my point.

Caution: Spoiler Alert Below!

As we ease into the summer reruns, let's take stock of what has transpired:
  • Scofield's crew escaped Fox River without D.B. Cooper, who presumably died from his chest injuries.
  • After getting Abruzzi's van, the crew left the meeting point without Haywire, who stole a girl's bike and cycled to possible safety.
  • The "Tweener" was sent on his own after Michael threatened to tell the crew his secret. We last see him hiding in a horse truck headed for St. Louis. I am hoping "Tweener" is killed off.
  • T-Bag (I love this guy. He's SUCH a weasel!) cuffed himself to Michael so the crew wouldn't harm him. Bad idea, since Abruzzi pulled a Jack Bauer/Chase Edmunds on him, cutting off his hand with an axe. Ouch!
  • The President had a fatal heart attack, and the scumbag VP was sworn in. Dang.
  • Veronica found the VP's brother hiding in Montana. Oh, and he's not dead.
  • As the crew ran to the airstrip (with police in pursuit) the getaway plane took off without them. The crew is last seen running through a field.
  • And the saddest part of the episode: Sara, stricken with guilt and grief over Michael's lies, overdosed on morphine. Police found her body in her apartment. This part pissed me off, because I loved the Sara character.

All in all, I thought it was a fabulous episode, but I worry that the creators went a little overboard. Sara and Cooper - two main characters - were killed off, and the crew didn't reach the plane. If I had even the slightest clue about what next season will bring, I may be happier, but as it stands, I don't know where they are going with this. I'll be front row, center for the 2nd season premiere, but I hope the strong storylines continue.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll see Sara come back.

R.I.P, Doctor Sara Tancredi

7 comments:

  1. I thought this was the second season?

    I hate to say it, but Prison Break was better than 24 this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last episode was AWESOME!!! But I think you're totally wrong about Sara being dead. The emergency guy said possible DOA. My friends and I think her character is too important to kill off. But she needed to leave the prison someway. I love her character and will be ticked if she is really dead.

    I have to admit that I've become pretty de-sensitized to violence but seeing T-bag get his hand cut off was hard for me. They really played it up showing his bloody hand & then showing him running with blood everywhere. Yikes, and even though he's a scumbag it upset me that they just left him there. I think the creators of the show are geniuses if they can make you even care about him.

    I loved the twist on the VP getting rid of the president.

    It was all very good. I missed the 1st 7 episodes so I'm looking forward to it coming out on DVD. Awesome show!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that can produce another cute junkie by next season...

    And it is a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara - not confirmed dead. You'd think a cop would know that.

    D.B. Cooper - undevelopable character. What was left for him to do...go see his daughter who had a week to live? As soon as he sees her, his storyline is over.

    Tweener - dude, he lives but should be dead. He's a tool.

    T-Bag - I thought that they'd continue his character. Maybe they didn't want to show him going after the lady who dimed him out.

    Haywire - he's awesome.

    The VP is disturbing. She makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watched Prison Break. I did however tune in too early for 24, and caught the scene with Crazy Ivan cutting off the dude's hand, and that rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ty - This was the inaugural season. Hopefully, one of many. And I agree it has been better than 24. I think it is MUCH more suspenseful.

    LMC - I hope I'm wrong about Sara, but she looked really pale. T-Bag is terrific, and that says a lot about the writers. I actually like this scumbag.

    CUG - Mmm . . . cute junkies!

    Randal - 1. She looked pale enough to be dead, so I was assuming.

    2. Good point, but I thought he'd at least make it out.

    3. Agreed. Definite tool.

    4. I was looking forward to him returning to his old girlfriend's house!

    5. Agreed. Riding the bike with the football helmet = FUNNY!

    6. Also agreed. Yuck.

    Fm - You should watch it on reruns. It is worth your time. And the "Crazy Ivan" is John Abruzzi, the mob boss. The actor played "Slippery Pete" in the Frogger episode from Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PB was great and much better than 24 this season. 24 was kind of weak..

    Haywire was great!
    I think it is a shame they killed off Sara, though they might bring her back by saying she was almost dead and they revived her..a.k.a Audrey's father in 24.

    Scofield was great and had anything but an easy time escaping.. he kept having to deal with adjustements to his plan and adding people to the group..

    They seemed kind of cornered at the airfield, so i am not really sure where they can take this next season. I can see them getting captured and hauled back to prison and then the VP's bro being publicized and therefore Scofield being released because of extenuating circunstances or something like that..

    however, in general I cannot see this as an extended show.. if they escape, what more is left for the show? If they get stuck back in, they can try to break out again somehow (if Victoria does not get Michael and Lincoln out), but you'd think after one escape attempt the authorities would have a tighter watch on them and it would be impossible..

    ReplyDelete