About

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Oh, Shoot!

God, I suck. Last night, I attended my yearly re-qualification for my city-issued Glock 17 pistol. Philadelphia's Police Pistol Range is outside at the Academy, so you have to weather the elements; in this case, cold, hard rain and thunderclaps. Swell.

The MPO Training course consists of 60 rounds, fired from the 25, 15, 7, and 5-yard lines respectively. The state made the qualification practically idiot-proof by having officers shoot only six measly rounds from the 25-yard line. Failing is (hypothetically) impossible.

We line up and begin at the 7-yard line, firing three sets of six rounds at the targets. The first twelve are dead on, then I had a brain cramp. While trying to rush through the last six, I threw a round from seven frakking yards! It missed the five-point ring by a half-inch, and hit the three-point ring. Chances of a perfect score: gone!

The rest of the night was a rage-filled haze. I couldn't believe I missed that shot from so close. Unbelievably, I hit the five-point ring with every other shot, and ended up with a total score of 99.

God, I suck.

11 comments:

  1. I know, I know. I have no right to bitch about a 99, but I was SO CLOSE to perfection! Pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't you be going nite-nite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your still a straight shooter in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 99. Let me be the first to apologize for anything offensive I may have said in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh grimjack...I live far enough away I can still feel free to antagonize him:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin - Didn't get home until 12:30am. Can't go to sleep that quickly.

    BWH - Thank you, sir.

    Grimjack - Does this have anything to do with the fact that we'll be golfing together this weekend? Apology accepted.

    SK - I can always drive down there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh. You mentioned flying here to visit someone else and made me a little nervous:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheesh a 99 and your bitching?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah come on cowboy--you can still hit the side of a barn, can't you? hehe JPYB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried shooting a shot gun a few times one day. First, I couldn't stop laughing every time "they" gave me the loaded shot gun (I kept it pointing toward the sky ala Hussein), then I had to talk myself into pulling the trigger (weird sense of power), and then the tree with the target on it...yeah, couldn't hit that to save my life...probably killed some grasshoppers and ants or something. Don't worry...this was in the South. Yee haaa! :)

    ReplyDelete