About

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Name That Bug

It's time for a new feature here at SYLG: Name That Bug.

After seeing some nasty insects outside (and occasionally inside) my home, I figured as a public service, I should enlighten others who share my dread. Let's begin, shall we?

This little bastard is the House Centipede.

The house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata, is a yellowish grey centipede with 15 pairs of legs. Originally endemic to the Mediterranean region, the species has spread to other parts of the world, where it usually lives in human homes. It is an insectivore; it kills and eats insects.

House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants and other household pests. They kill their prey by injecting venom through their fangs.

Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings, but because of their alarming appearance, frightening speed, and painful bite, few homeowners are willing to share a home with them. (H/T - Wikipedia)
Okay, why am I grossing everyone out on an early Saturday morning? Because one of these things is currently eluding my assassination attempt. The damned thing is over three inches long, and faster than Jeff Gordon on nitrous. So, I looked up the little critter, and was amazed at what I found.

I had no idea that the house centipede ate other pests. That's a good thing, and I appreciate their efforts. Still, if I find this thing, it's going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment